Intel board dead?

Soldato
Disclaimer - I've never touched an Intel set up before....

So I've just spent the evening putting together a pc for a friend but the board and cpu were already installed and it won't post at all, no beeps but power everywhere.....long story short he tells me the cpu has no thermal paste so I remove the cooler and find this.....

Guessing those bent pins are what's stopping it from posting and a new board is needed? Cpu looks ok from what I can see..

Soldato
Well yeah that'll do it, if you're extremely careful (to avoid snapping them off) and precise, whilst the pins are still attached you could bend them back into position (use something small, be gradual and patient) and you might be lucky enough to come away with a functioning board. A magnifying glass and steady, gentle hands are a plus.

You(not you personally) are not the first person to break a motherboard this way. It's 50/50 at this point, they might (given care) bend back into position just fine. If you're intending to just replace the board, there's not much harm in having a shot fixing the pins and if you manage that don't force the CPU in, slot it gently (and recheck pins again if it's not sitting in with ease).

I've bent a few pins in the past, first time using a board with pins, bent a couple by being a bit to anxious, no idea what system that was now(long gone - pretty sure it ended up as a hand me down), but with a bit of careful bending and patience the board was fully functional.

Last edited:
Associate
Oooh that's going to be a lot of work to put right.
Looks like whoever put that in should have used a smaller hammer... or orientated the chip correctly :p

I'd prepare you're friend for some shopping activity for a new board though. :( or if bought second-hand, their money back !

Back
Top Bottom