• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Core i9-12900K allegedly scores 30K points in Cinebench R23

Soldato
OP
Yeah it’s got it all. I think it’s going to have a lot of issues early on though. I mean most of what we are seeing in benchmarks, could be down to DDR5, which doesn’t make the chip alone look all that great. Then factor in the latency etc, and well a wise man or woman would wait. I think Zen 4 is going to be very interesting to compare to Alder Lake instead of Alder Lake and Zen 3. Pcie5 interests me the least out of the above.

Raptor lake will launch next year, and will up the core count, frequency and IPC over Alderlake - that may be the one to get for most, to avoid the early adopter price premiems of DDR5 etc. Plus by the launch of Raptor Lake (rumoured Q2-Q2 22) windows 11's hardware scheduler should have had any bugs fixed and general performance improvements.

Raptor lake should be competing against Zen3 refresh (assuming Zen3 refresh isn't further delayed) - should be an interesting duel ;)

Soldato
OP
Core counts are going to get silly.

AMD played the core count game which killed Intel's HEDT, now Intel are looking to play AMD at their own game, revenge? Bad move, its far too easy for AMD to ramp the core count up to play them at that game, all Intel are doing is escalating it.

Zen 4

R3 - 6/12
R5 - 8/16
R7 - 12/24 and 16/32
R9 - 20/40 and 24/48

Single thread performance will be AMD's biggest worry. They've used up Jim Keller's work, so may not be able to increase IPC greatly going forward.

At stock, rocket lake (11900k) has higher single core performance out of the box than a 5950x has. Alder Lake looks to increase this by 15-20%. Then next year we have Raptor Lake, with further IPC increases, which will compete with Zen3 refresh. At this point, it may be Meteor Lake that finally competes with Zen4 and AMD's first DDR5 platform.

That said, I do hope AMD can keep executing as we could have a few really exciting years with big increases in performance from both vendors then :)

Soldato
OP
I think the best would be if the game developers begin to do this:
- optimise for 12-core CPU for top ultra-high settings;
- optimise for 8-core for high settings;
- optimise for 6-core for medium settings;
- optimise for 4-core for low-medium settings;

Hopefully you understand how it can work.

GPU's aren't fast enough to need anything beyond a 10th gen/Zen3 8 core CPU for now for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom