• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Graphics Driver problem

Soldato
I have a Acer TravelMate B118-M which has an Intel Pentium Silver N5000 CPU with graphics. The graphics are UHD 605.

I find the latest driver from Intel's website for the UHD 605 and download the correct "Intel® 7th-10th Gen Processor Graphics - Windows" and this installs without a problem. The intel Control Panel shows driver version 31.0.101.2130 which is the latest one.

Windows Update then comes along and downloads and installs version 27.20.100.8935 and the Intel Control Panels shows this version instead.

How do I stop Windows update from doing this? I am sure there is unlikely to be a practical difference between version 27 and 31 on a very low powered laptop like this but it's a habit to have hte latest one installed!

When I had a AMD card it would download the drivers and install it without asking me and it would do it when the system wasnt idle as it happened when I was playing a game, I thought the card had broken at first as the driver control panel would disappear, this happened about 3 times before I disabled driver updates.

A family members laptop did it with the wireless card and then it would kill the internet and the router password had to be entered again though this was way back as it had Windows 8 and it would do it on the same day of the week for a month when it would check for updates then Microsoft must have fixed it.

There's a thread on reddit from the Intel sub from two days ago and unless Mircosoft fix this one work around it is to disable driver updates which is annoying as one may miss out on updates for other components.

Last edited:
I have a Acer TravelMate B118-M which has an Intel Pentium Silver N5000 CPU with graphics. The graphics are UHD 605.

I find the latest driver from Intel's website for the UHD 605 and download the correct "Intel® 7th-10th Gen Processor Graphics - Windows" and this installs without a problem. The intel Control Panel shows driver version 31.0.101.2130 which is the latest one.

Windows Update then comes along and downloads and installs version 27.20.100.8935 and the Intel Control Panels shows this version instead.

How do I stop Windows update from doing this? I am sure there is unlikely to be a practical difference between version 27 and 31 on a very low powered laptop like this but it's a habit to have hte latest one installed!

Are you saying that windows is downgrading the driver after you've installed the newer one?

If that is true then you can stop this behaviour @mrk posted a link in another thread.

The group policy edit (to block driver updates from windows update) still works on Windows 11, so far as I know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom