• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Gulftown comes with tower HSF

Associate
Intel Gulftown comes with tower HSF
By Hilbert Hagedoorn, September 29, 2009 - 8:13 AM

guess even intel now ahs to admit that six CPU cores can make quite a lot of heat, especially for the consumer part. At IDF Intel showed the processor cooler for its upcoming six-core Gulftown processors.

As you can see this is a tower heatsink with four heatpipes, a large PWM fan, and a bolt-thru mounting kit instead of flimsy push-pins. It's unknown if Intel will ship this with all Gulftown processors, or only with the Extreme Edition models. Different from the previous design, the fresh cooler employs tower design with horizontal blowing for enhanced airflow, and it features four copper heatpipes.

Als, no irritating Push-pin any more. It installs with screws.

Source and screenshot:

http://www.guru3d.com/news/intel-gulftown-comes-with-tower-hsf/

Associate
Interesting stuff. I wonder how it'll compare to aftermarket cpu cooling.

One question that is raised is just how much heat is produced by the six core architecture; I am looking forward to benchmarks sometime next year with luck.

Thanks for the info!

Soldato
Looks... well, cheap to be honest. Hopefully it will look a little better at retail.

2qnmxk5.jpg

^ Best stock cooler, in my opinion of course :)

Associate
OP
I noticed it has slots at either side of the heatsink used for keeping the fan on so I wonder if we would be able replaced the fan with aftermarket cpu cooling fan and buying those Fan Wire Clip to keep the fan on.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i'm sure it would be pretty easy if you had some wire cutters and gaffer tape! :p

It has slots at either side of the heatsink used to keep the fan on, so replacing the fan with aftermarket one and buying those Fan Wire Clips to keep the fan on should also work very nicely as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
If that's the stock cooler for the new 6 core Gulftown CPU's then I'll eat my hat. Perhaps it might be the cooler they are shipping out with EE editions as a way of justifying it's price tag (lets face it you won't get much change out a £1K form a Gulftown) and so enthusiasts can start to overclock it effectively right of the bat without having to buy new 3rd party coolers.

Associate
If that's the stock cooler for the new 6 core Gulftown CPU's then I'll eat my hat. Perhaps it might be the cooler they are shipping out with EE editions as a way of justifying it's price tag (lets face it you won't get much change out a £1K form a Gulftown) and so enthusiasts can start to overclock it effectively right of the bat without having to buy new 3rd party coolers.

that seem a bit pointless really ,lets face it if your an enthusiast the 1st think you do is high end after market cooling
it would make good sense for standard chips to be shipped with better cooler though

Associate
I had imagined that these CPUs would have the same TDP as anything else on the platform, right? Doesn't the 965 take 140W? If so, shouldn't it just use the same cooler as that?

Soldato
that seem a bit pointless really ,lets face it if your an enthusiast the 1st think you do is high end after market cooling
it would make good sense for standard chips to be shipped with better cooler though

It's only a theory and a loose one at that, I would expect the stand stock cooler to be the same as the currant LGA1366 cooler which works just fine provided you don't overclock.

Also bear in mind although Gulftown is a 6 core monster so I would expect clock rates will most likely be lower then that of the quad core variants (as seen when moving from single to dual and dual to quad) and it's also being manufactured on 32nm fabrication so the CPU should use less power per core hence produce less heat per core then the Bloomfield chips.

Man of Honour
About time Intel® bundled a decent heatsink with their products! . . . now if the cable was sleeved and the fan glowed blue that would be perfect heh! :p

Never found a problem with their stock ones myself, very quiet and cool for stock running. The new one looks interesting though.

Soldato
Never found a problem with their stock ones myself, very quiet and cool for stock running
Yeah the retail cooler is ok, does the basic job with a stock CPU and can just about managed to cool a medium overclock but I found even when using Q-Fan to slow the rpms down it's still a bit noisy for my tastes . . . it also lacks a little in the *bling* department heh! :p

crucialtracer42eme9.jpg

Associate
It's only a theory and a loose one at that, I would expect the stand stock cooler to be the same as the currant LGA1366 cooler which works just fine provided you don't overclock.

Also bear in mind although Gulftown is a 6 core monster so I would expect clock rates will most likely be lower then that of the quad core variants (as seen when moving from single to dual and dual to quad) and it's also being manufactured on 32nm fabrication so the CPU should use less power per core hence produce less heat per core then the Bloomfield chips.

good point

Caporegime
I wish intel would do some sort of deal with thermalright or prolimatech, with the expected prices for gulftown cpu's, a nice ultra or megahelems would be a great "stock" cooler to throw in with theese chips.:D

Associate
Basically just an arctic freezer 7 pro with an extra heatpipe and poorer build quality, why no ship the high ed chips with no cooler at all and save on metal. I'm tired of eb*ying my cpu's and having to find the cooler to send off as well.

Back
Top Bottom