• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel i7 14700K review

Man of Honour
Have to say I wouldn't be in a hurry to upgrade from anything relatively recent - a few exceptions aside actual noticeable performance vs benchmarks doesn't seem hugely different - even for many things I struggle to notice a perceptual difference versus my heavily overclocked X79 setup.

One game that oddly seems to benefit, more so than the benchmarks even seem to show, is Hogwarts Legacy - the benchmarks show some decent increases in minimum FPS even against the 13th gen, but especially anything older, but in actual playing through some sections that translates into a huge increase in smoothness and I'm seeing much better average FPS, probably another 10-15% higher than the benchmarks show but also holding up near the average much more.

Last edited:

kar

kar

Associate
What are folks thoughts, I'm on Z690, 13600k with a pretty beefy cooler (H150I cappelix). Originally I was going to camp out until the 13900s came on the resale market after Meteor was due to hit but with Intel going all devils canyon seems like the 14700k would be a better fit especially if there is any price promotions this side of christmas?

Main use it software dev / sim racing a little bit of other odd gaming.

Man of Honour
What are folks thoughts, I'm on Z690, 13600k with a pretty beefy cooler (H150I cappelix). Originally I was going to camp out until the 13900s came on the resale market after Meteor was due to hit but with Intel going all devils canyon seems like the 14700k would be a better fit especially if there is any price promotions this side of christmas?

Main use it software dev / sim racing a little bit of other odd gaming.

As per above I wouldn't bother - the 14700K is a very capable CPU but not going to be much perceptual difference in a lot of what you do over what you have. Though I do notice a small improvement in feel with the 14700K over anything I've used before - there seems to be a slight but not insignificant improvement in responsiveness especially in games which get bogged down in single thread heavy workloads - but at the moment I can't discount that being say a motherboard thing, etc. (the handling of power and turbo states, etc. isn't even over all boards).

Last edited:

kar

kar

Associate
As per above I wouldn't bother - the 14700K is a very capable CPU but not going to be much perceptual difference in a lot of what you do over what you have. Though I do notice a small improvement in feel with the 14700K over anything I've used before - there seems to be a slight but not insignificant improvement in responsiveness especially in games which get bogged down in single thread heavy workloads - but at the moment I can't discount that being say a motherboard thing, etc. (the handling of power and turbo states, etc. isn't even over all boards).
What board did you go for? And what did you come from? To be honest in gaming the 13600 is fine for what I do, the main thing I could imagine it benefiting is code compilation and emulators (RPCS3/Yuzu). As I'm still on DDR4 this is end of line for this particular build so maybe follow original plan and just plop in a 1(3-4)(7|9)000 when the price is right. Resale on 13600s isn't going to be great given the discounting already.

Any other upgrade is going to be board, psu, cpu, memory so a complete rebuild.

Man of Honour
What board did you go for? And what did you come from? To be honest in gaming the 13600 is fine for what I do, the main thing I could imagine it benefiting is code compilation and emulators (RPCS3/Yuzu). As I'm still on DDR4 this is end of line for this particular build so maybe follow original plan and just plop in a 1(3-4)(7|9)000 when the price is right. Resale on 13600s isn't going to be great given the discounting already.

Any other upgrade is going to be board, psu, cpu, memory so a complete rebuild.

My setup is 14700K, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master, 32GB Kingston Fury Renegade 6000MHz. It is a new build for gaming due to Windows 7 support being ended rather than specifically replacing a previous system - I've a range of systems in use for various tasks but I tended to game mostly on a system I need to keep Windows 7 on.

Soldato
Hijack apologies. So, feelers out….what about 9900k Z390 32gb ddr4 4000 to 14900k plus Z790?

What I like is being able to put 12tb storage in M.2 rather than a bunch of sata ssds. I’ve got an HX1200i and a 4090 in this on which i’ll keep.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom