Intel Optane?

Caporegime
As I understand it it's just like a Hybrid drive where you have a small SSD for caching the most commonly used files etc.

Soldato
OP
Just been to Canary Wharf and Intel's Innovation Labs. Saw some Optane in use on a laptop. Very fast, speeds up your laptop twice as fast to boot and load up anything
Can't imagine it my laptop boots 5 seconds. Can't I stuff some optane in it ? Sounds like a hybrid SSD, SSD drive? Like SSD with super fast SSD cache ?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have the 32gb version of the intel optane drive and i cant anymore seem to get it configured correctly to be able to enable it though i can turn that drive into a standard ssd hdd by creating a formated partion within windows 10 lol

Soldato
They had 2 windows 10 machines next to each other exactly same image. 1 with Optane the other without and they did a restart. The Optane one booted twice as fast and loaded up all the apps it had while the other one was still booting up.

Don
They had 2 windows 10 machines next to each other exactly same image. 1 with Optane the other without and they did a restart. The Optane one booted twice as fast and loaded up all the apps it had while the other one was still booting up.

And did the non-optane one have a hard drive or the same amount of ram?

If it's an intel provided demo, don't believe any of it, unless you've seen the specs yourself
https://semiaccurate.com/2017/03/27/intel-crosses-unacceptable-ethical-line/

Don
Exactly the same spec, drives, dram but the Optane machine had 16gb Optane ram in. Nothing to do with an ssd.

If they both had hard drives, then an Optane one will boot up faster - it's essentially a caching SSD module

* The Server Optane tech - X-Point is different, in that it is meant to hybrid ram/storage that fits in an existing RAM slot, so you can have huge amounts of Flash based RAM *

Associate
Indeed the Intel demo is using it as an sshd equivalent with similar performance gains by caching a slow disk. Compared to an SSD it does not show the gains which is why this isn't what they compare with. However given the price I can't see the point at the moment given you'll get an SSD well before considering this.

Back
Top Bottom