Intel or AMD, that is my question

Soldato
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Posts
2,549
Location
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Evening all.

I am stuck, like really bloody stuck and my wife said i need to grow up, so... i came here to see if i can get some help growing up.

Currently I am running:
BeQuiet 900
Corsair Hxi750 (i think)
Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero AMD X470
Ryzen 2700X
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Ultra
16GB Corsair Dominator Pro 3600
2x 1TB WD Black SN750 NVME drives
Full watercooled


Mine is the on on the right.



My predicament is this; My board has died on me so i need to replace, i bought another one of our fave. auction place sold as new for £179!!! but it was DOA, didnt have a CMOS Bat on it, i can either Source another x470 for aprx. £249 which will mean a straight swap and im up an running again.
OR
An X570 ROG Hero VIII BUT i will need to also buy a new MB Waterblock @ £130 and OCUK say bought to order - meaning weeks delays i guess.

SO then my mind wonders more, im due an upgrade...
I could maybe get the X570 with the plan of dropping in an 5800X when stock finally lands and plan on a 3080 or AMD equivalent
OR
Jump ship completely back over to Intel and get the Asus Z490 Maximus XII with a 10900K which both are in stock and ready to go, i would just need to buy a new MB Block and some pipework modification.

I suspect my 2070 will sit back in and tick over until the rush dies down.

What advise would you give me?

TLDR:
Stick with current spec and replace X470 MB
Replace MB with X570 and wait on 5800X
Replace MB with Z490 and got i9 10900K

AND when able replace 2070 with summmmmmmart.

Cheers for reading

Peace out ho-me-zz
 
Associate
Joined
13 Sep 2013
Posts
1,625
Location
Aberdeen
Did you feel like it was lacking before the board went pop? If not then get a new mobo and save your cash for 3070/80 FE.
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Posts
2,549
Location
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Did you feel like it was lacking before the board went pop? If not then get a new mobo and save your cash for 3070/80 FE.
Not really mate,
pretty stable and decent frames, tbh, could be better, 80-90FPS in warzone on a 165Hz screen.

If i changed CPU then i would pair that with a 3070/80 when avail anyway.
 
Associate
Joined
19 Sep 2010
Posts
2,295
Location
Manchester
Worth considering that X470 will support Ryzen 5000 with a Bios update. Seems the smarter play to stick with your board and still have the option to get a 5900x or whatever later down the line when your current CPU feels lacking?
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Posts
2,549
Location
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Worth considering that X470 will support Ryzen 5000 with a Bios update. Seems the smarter play to stick with your board and still have the option to get a 5900x or whatever later down the line when your current CPU feels lacking?
this is indeed an option that was kinda of not considered worthwhile given the £100 more on investment for an X570.

Currently in a waiting list for the 5900X - god damn scalpers
 
Associate
Joined
19 Sep 2010
Posts
2,295
Location
Manchester
this is indeed an option that was kinda of not considered worthwhile given the £100 more on investment for an X570.

Currently in a waiting list for the 5900X - god damn scalpers
Well the flip side, then, an X570 board will happily run your 2700x until you get your upgrade too. If you think the benefits of X570 are worth the £100 extra, of course, especially since this is likely the last of the AM4 socket line.
 
Soldato
OP
Joined
28 Jan 2007
Posts
2,549
Location
Wilmslow, Cheshire
So,

I have gone with:
Ryzen 5800X
AM4 105w Hs&F as no Monoblock avail for:
Asus Crosshair Hero VIII
WD_Black Sn850 2TB
32GB Dominator Platinum 3600 (to replace or add to my 16gb)

Should all be here tomorrow.

I now need to work out how to seal my loop bypassing the MB Wblock and keep a look out for a 3070 or 3080 to replace my 2070.

Also got the spare X470 coming tomoz too, ill just return that i think.

Cheers guys
 
Top Bottom