Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 and Temps

Associate
have some one this, my System

Asus P5B, Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600, Cooler Master HyperTX 2,mit 2 x 1Gig GSkill PC800 DDR2 Speicher, Graka Nforce 7.600GS, TV-Karte Technotrend TT-DVB-Pci, 300 Gig Sata Maxtor, und 400 Gig Samsung Sata, DVD NEC 5800, Brenner LG GSA-4167B, zurzeit at standart Speed

in an CS 601 with 4 extra Papst ventilating system

on full Load

CPUZ 1-4 72 - 78 Degrees.................

looks very high...

Greetings from Germany
Sir Ulli

Man of Honour
Is that at stock or overclocked on the quad?

Could be your HSF isn't up to the job. The Coolermaster HypterTX 2 isn't exactly known for being a top of the range cooler.

Mind you my Quad at 3.0Ghz overclocked is hitting 4-5 degrees hotter than that and thats on a Zalmann 8700. They do run hot these quads :)

Associate
Sir Ulli said:

... ... ...

on full Load

looks very high...

Greetings from Germany
Sir Ulli
TCase to Tjunction Delta, that's what you should be watching. The closer to Zero your delta is, the closer to Thermal Safety Shutdown your processor is.

Delta - The number of degree's C before you have thermal shutdown, NOT failure, shutdown. Intel build in a rather substantial buffer between Thermal Shutdown and Catastrophic Failure (Related to HEAT, Not Voltage).

By thermal cutoff I mean, when the CPU's programmed shutdown point is, cant recall the actual term, but there is one, DTS or somethign like that.

Use CoreTemp or CrystalCPUID (For Temperature Measurements) not CPUZ, and select the TJunction options in the their respective settings. The closer to zero you are, the closer you are to an internal thermal safety shutoff.

It's rumored that Intel have two different versions of the Q6600 on the street at the moment, one that has a TJunction temp of 100C and one at 85C. If your running a TJunction temp of 85C and your TCore Temps are 70-75C, your on the edge of thermal shutdown. On the 100C Core, your in good shape, as you have a 25% overhead to play with ... Keep Pushing the GHZ :) I go to about 15% of thermal shutdown.

Last edited:

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Sir Ulli said:

Asus P5B, Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600, Cooler Master HyperTX 2,mit 2 x 1Gig GSkill PC800 DDR2 Speicher, Graka Nforce 7.600GS, TV-Karte Technotrend TT-DVB-Pci, 300 Gig Sata Maxtor, und 400 Gig Samsung Sata, DVD NEC 5800, Brenner LG GSA-4167B, zurzeit at standart Speed

in an CS 601 with 4 extra Papst ventilating system

on full Load

looks very high...

Greetings from Germany
Sir Ulli
78c is pretty high. But it's not unusual for the Quads to touch 80c under air.

They usually start to throttle at 85c, so you've a little bit of leeway.

Associate
Coretemp = 62 on 0 & 1 and 58 on 3 & 4 going up and down a few C every so often. Standard Intel HS and Fan with a 10% OC using Asus AI.

Everyone else have the same sort of difference between the first set and last set of cores? I guess i'll find out when i get the second q6600 installed and running.

Soldato
to get some perspective the xbit labs article here shows what some of the big boy coolers can do.

That enzotech is my next buy - it's my thermalright xp-120 on steriods, need a better fan but 8mm heatpipes and a forged base for the win :D

18_u-x.jpg

Soldato
MajorPart said:
Coretemp = 62 on 0 & 1 and 58 on 3 & 4 going up and down a few C every so often. Standard Intel HS and Fan with a 10% OC using Asus AI.

Everyone else have the same sort of difference between the first set and last set of cores? I guess i'll find out when i get the second q6600 installed and running.
I only had mine running for a few hours but there was a definite difference between the pairs of cores.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
/Dashes in for a quick post.

My Q6600, running at 3.0GHz on 1.300v, runs at around 48C idle and about 75C full load according to CoreTemp. It says the TJunction for my chip is 100C. I'm perfectly happy for it to run at this temperature.

On the different temperatures for different cores question, core 2 seems to run at about 4C lower than cores 0, 1 and 3 :confused:

FOLD ON TEAM 10 :D

/Dashes out again.

Cob

Cob

Soldato
Bigstan said:
/Dashes in for a quick post.

My Q6600, running at 3.0GHz on 1.300v, runs at around 48C idle and about 75C full load according to CoreTemp. It says the TJunction for my chip is 100C. I'm perfectly happy for it to run at this temperature.

On the different temperatures for different cores question, core 2 seems to run at about 4C lower than cores 0, 1 and 3 :confused:

FOLD ON TEAM 10 :D

/Dashes out again.
Come back here for just a second....

jungleteb7.jpg

:D

Associate
I've got one Q6600 in a Linux box, but can't get lm-sensors to work properly, problems with the D975XBX MB and lm-sensor detect and the mod-probe.

I'm putting my second Quad on my main box, that's WinDoze so I'll be able to comment further on my temps after that.

Soldato
shadowscotland said:
That enzotech is my next buy - it's my thermalright xp-120 on steriods, need a better fan but 8mm heatpipes and a forged base for the win :D

Somehow i see a deadspot modded 120x120x38mm fan on there being, as you quite rightly put it, for the win.

dunno about fans on sale now but I used to voltmod the YsTech FD1238 120x120x38 (the loud one) down till it was quiet, and punch the centre out of a dead 120mm fan (got cheap from computer fairs) and mount it in between HS and F. This also allowed for multiple layers of vibration damping. this very mod was used to gain, well frankly awesome results on both my air, and water cooled rigs. That HSF looks like you could almost use a push-pull arrangement on it, OR even stick another fan on the base fins.. I shall be watching for your progress closely, as i am considering a return to crunching, and with my current towers, it'd be embarassing, against these quad and dual monsters (XP2100/oc'ed XP-M chip on air :( ) - i can't crunch my C2D as its a laptop and i swore i wouldnt, at least till i had air conditioning. lol

It was always a requirement, of all my seti1 crunchers except that XP2100 palomino chip, which has an everlasting Maxtor 15gb HD which is as loud as our dyson cleaner, that they be silent, or very nearly so. Oh and i dislike temps above 50c core on ANY chip. Remember the general rule about how every 7c you knock off a chip's temp you double the lifespan?

in short, those temps seem too high to me, Sir Ulli - I recommend a top HSF, with, if TIM's are the same as they were back then, AS5. I preach only one rule with PC's. It is this: DONT skimp on RAM, cooling, or PSU. Get the best you can. Of course, these things benefit the cause :D lol

Get it more cooled and get it overclocked, you are in danger of being a slacker, like me :p lol

EDIT: although not as bad as me :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom