• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel roadmap update: Skylake alongside Broadwell, Broadwell -E Q1 2016

Soldato
So why do they release the locked chips first these days? Used to be the other way around to entice people to pay more to be early adopters.

Don
Broadwell seems a bit of a dead duck on 1150, probably not worth the upgrade for someone already on that socket, unless there's a massive price premium on Skylake, or Skylake just isn't that good.

Don't see any reason for someone buying a new system to go Broadwell, if Skylake covers all segments 2 months later, better to hang fire and wait and see what Skylake is upto. How's prices of DDR4 these days? Might be the only major price differential.

Soldato
OP
Broadwell seems a bit of a dead duck on 1150, probably not worth the upgrade for someone already on that socket, unless there's a massive price premium on Skylake, or Skylake just isn't that good.

Don't see any reason for someone buying a new system to go Broadwell, if Skylake covers all segments 2 months later, better to hang fire and wait and see what Skylake is upto. How's prices of DDR4 these days? Might be the only major price differential.

Broadwell looks like a slot in upgrade for those on Z97 1150 who want to stick with DDR3 etc.

New buyers will pick Skyplake + DDR4 + New mobo..

I'm glad to have choice tbh, as I'll likely just chuck a Broadwell CPU into my current Z97 1150 setup and be done with it until later next year. I want to see X99 Mini iTX !!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So why do they release the locked chips first these days? Used to be the other way around to entice people to pay more to be early adopters.

Neither Broadwell or Skylake are locked according to that roadmap?

Both will feature unlocked 'K' chips, however Skylake will need a new mobo and support DDR4. Broadwell K will be usable on current Z97 motherboards and compatible with DDR3.

Soldato
OP
Maybe those with lower spec CPUs. Like a Core i3 or low power Core i5. Haswell - Broadwell should bring improvements in power consumption, and maybe 5% improvements in IPC.

I would love to swap out my 4770K in mini ITX for similar performance but doesn't run as hot. A 14nm Broadwell chip should be ideal, maybe a Xeon etc..

If it means I don't have to bother swapping my mobo and can carry on using my DDR3 even better !

Also AMD will have new stuff out next year, Q3 2016 will be major upgrade time. CPU swap out until then.

Soldato
Its interesting (to me) that there only release 'QC' Quad cores on broad well. Does this mean i5s and i7 or may just a 'show stopping i7', it could happen.

I'm actually surpris. because really with less power draw and low upgrade cost (from z97) the obvious route is htpc cpus. Thats why im a bit shovked there missing tbe dual cores

Soldato
If I can get decent coin for my 4790k I might chuck broadwell in if it's any good.

Already planning on beyond my 970 seeing as that's not feeling very future proof any more.

Skylake and pascal hopefully assuming ITX won't get Skylake-E

Soldato
OP
On z87 and DC 4790k here, holding out for unlocked skylake. No point getting a z97 board for broadwell. Cant see it being much of an improvement over current stuff.

Yeah if you've gone this long on Z87 there's no point moving to Z97 at all. Just go straight to Skylake -K later on.

For those already on Z97, Broadwell -K will be a more inexpensive upgrade, being able to use same socket and DDR3 memory. More appealing to me.

I just want a chip that won't hold back gaming and runs really cool / quiet. Probably sell this 4770K and get a 14nm Xeon Broadwell chip. That would be ideal until later in 2016 when the big guns come out. I'm expecting game changing stuff by then :D

Soldato
I'm on an E8400, so anything here is a major upgrade for me! :p

However, I was planning on going 4790K when I build in March. But if Skylake is really only a few months after that....?? Hmmm, decisions decisions.

Caporegime
skylake is what im waiting on,if its decent I might upgrade,

perfectly happy with z68/z77 boards atm
Did you buy matt's old 2700k mate?

Yeah if you've gone this long on Z87 there's no point moving to Z97 at all. Just go straight to Skylake -K later on.

For those already on Z97, Broadwell -K will be a more inexpensive upgrade, being able to use same socket and DDR3 memory. More appealing to me.

I just want a chip that won't hold back gaming and runs really cool / quiet. Probably sell this 4770K and get a 14nm Xeon Broadwell chip. That would be ideal until later in 2016 when the big guns come out. I'm expecting game changing stuff by then :D
Tbh Boom, i was very very close to buying a maximus 7 formula on another forum im on a few days ago, £160.00 for a brand new sealed board. I already own the Z87 model, probably no broadwell support. But my love of buying cpu's did tempt me. But yes i think ill wait for skylake. I do have a cpu addiction, but not as bad as you with gpu's.:D

Soldato
OP
Tbh Boom, i was very very close to buying a maximus 7 formula on another forum im on a few days ago, £160.00 for a brand new sealed board. I already own the Z87 model, probably no broadwell support. But my love of buying cpu's did tempt me. But yes i think ill wait for skylake. I do have a cpu addiction, but not as bad as you with gpu's.:D

Lol yup you're not wrong there, I can't resist new GPU's ! :D

Soldato
I was close to buying an x99 mobo, cpu and ram recently.. but i couldn't do it, current setup seems to be doing fine for games and not sure it is a good idea to blow money on something i won't notice much difference with. Saying that though i have a loooong wait ahead if i wait for Skylake stuff.

Soldato
OP
See your sig says 4770k now, iirc you went from 4790k to the new x platform. And now your back on the old z87/97 first gen hw. Is their no pleasing of you man lol.

We still got the X99 / 980 setup. I gave it to my kids. I'm using mini itx as just don't have the space in our bedroom for big tower case (http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18651202)

It's a lil beast this thing. Ideal for movies, music, web stuff and gaming. All I need is a cooler running CPU, hopefully Broadwell / Skylake will be decent.

Back
Top Bottom