• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Turbo Boost

Associate
Hi.

Novice PC builder so bare with me.
I'm looking to upgrade my 3570k which is running at 4.2 overclocked on all cores. I've forgotten all about overclocking as its been years since I set it up.

Now, I've been reading about the 9900k, 9700k etc and am a bit confused about the turbo specs. When the specs say 5ghz, is this guaranteed and sustainable on a single core without overclocking? i.e. I don't need be lucky with the silicon lottery? I like flight sims and single core performance is important.

Hope that makes sense.!!!

Soldato
Just to clarify, it's only guaranteed to boost that high if the temperatures are good. If it gets too hot it will thermal throttle and reduce clocks. However this is extremely rare to happen in a desktop as even a very low end cooler should handle the stock boost quite well. It's more common in laptops to thermal throttle.

But yes, as long as the temperatures are good it will turbo to what it says all day long.

Soldato
As other's mentioned its provided temps are reasonable. Its also if there are no power limits on board restricting the CPU to 95watts. No motherboards actually do that out the box anyways.

There is a nice wiki for CPU's, it shows the turbo tables for CPU's as Intel does not seem to share them anymore, here is the 9900k's for example with typical workloads (AKA not AVX / 512): https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/core_i9/i9-9900k

1 / 2 core - 5.0 GHz
3 / 4 core - 4.8 GHz
All core - 4.7 GHz

So yeah, pretty nice boost speeds out the box provided no power limit is in place and temps are no an issue.

Soldato
Hi.

Novice PC builder so bare with me.
I'm looking to upgrade my 3570k which is running at 4.2 overclocked on all cores. I've forgotten all about overclocking as its been years since I set it up.

Now, I've been reading about the 9900k, 9700k etc and am a bit confused about the turbo specs. When the specs say 5ghz, is this guaranteed and sustainable on a single core without overclocking? i.e. I don't need be lucky with the silicon lottery? I like flight sims and single core performance is important.

Hope that makes sense.!!!

All turbo speeds are opportunistic and depend on the chip quality, program and cooling.

Back
Top Bottom