Interesting Hypercar; BYD Yangwang U9

He says £186k in the video. What a crazy car but even if I had the money I wouldn't buy a car with wang in it's name!! Talking of crazy, the U8 is outrageous.

Yup.

There is a Chinese takeaway nearby where we stay in Norfolk and it's got all the food hygiene certificates on the wall behind the counter.

The guys name is Long Wang.

It is quite impressive what they have managed tondo in a short time. Still, if I had that money I would be buying something else

Had a good look around this at Goodwood and was a seriously impressive looking bit of kit, can see it in my video here:

As good as it looks I just don’t get excited by these Superfast EV’s for me so much of what makes a Supercar special is the unique engine configurations such as a flat plane crank V8 or a screaming V12 feeling all the vibrations, playing with rev range and delivery, changing gears using the rev range and deciding to use power or torque and that is sole reason why faster is never better driving an old manual 360 for me is far more satisfying even if it’s not particular fast. Crazy fast electric cars will be ten a penny in coming years and right now there is nothing that really separates them apart from looks and the roads cannot handle current ICE supercars so EV’s with twice power and bigger foot print and more weight just seem pointless.

So yeah do nothing for me give me a Ferrari F12 or old Mustang any time. :)

BYD should have just called it the “BYD Ultimate 9” or something to that affect.

Wang make it sounds like a phallic.

Cool car though but at that money better/special ICE alternatives.

We had a good poke around this at the FOS, and me being me, I specifically looked at the build quality and it wasn't good. Granted it wasn't as bad as Tesla when they started, but there were little signs everywhere that the car was made quite cheap. I noticed it most on the inside of the trunk lid which had a black plastic liner, which still had all the moulding burrs on it.

In fairness to it though I was extremely biased, Rolls could deliver their cars like that and i'd never know. I deliberately looked for faults, and found them.

Last edited:
Wang make it sounds like a phallic.

Thats the whole point of these vehicles isn’t it?

That channel has the annoying habit of taking the USD price and converting it to GBP and pushing that as the price. However as we all know, if you see a price quoted in USD, it will not include VAT, VED, fees or delivery etc.

The price is going to be more like £240k, that said I doubt it really changes the conversion for this vehicle.

Last edited:
Thats the whole point of these vehicles isn’t it?

That channel has the annoying habit of taking the USD price and converting it to GBP and pushing that as the price. However as we all know, if you see a price quoted in USD, it will not include VAT, VED, fees or delivery etc.

The price is going to be more like £240k, that said I doubt it really changes the conversion for this vehicle.

Wouldn’t pay £50k for it let alone £240k. That’s coming from someone who daily’s an EV. It’s cool, but there are just much better cars at that price point and lower, which will not lose much, or even appreciate in value.

At least they're honest when they show a demo of a "tank turn"

tmpg.png

...better known as skid steer for good reason

Unless you have a tracked vehicle that allows the tracks to move in opposite directions and can rotate on the spot.
There's a whole class of vehicles literally called skid steers and they can be wheeled or tracked.

Anyone doing this on their drive will do it exactly once before realising they scuffed the hell out of their tyres and printed a chavvy black circle just to turn around.

Wouldn’t pay £50k for it let alone £240k. That’s coming from someone who daily’s an EV. It’s cool, but there are just much better cars at that price point and lower, which will not lose much, or even appreciate in value.

Or even 50k tbh. This thing will depreciation in to oblivion.

It will be fast in a straight line (because thats the easy part), but I can't see it being quick on track vs the competition either.

Last edited:
There's a whole class of vehicles literally called skid steers and they can be wheeled or tracked.

Anyone doing this on their drive will do it exactly once before realising they scuffed the hell out of their tyres and printed a chavvy black circle just to turn around.
It’s the exact reason why when you see the demo’s of the Rivian doing it, it’s always on mud. I doubt anyone’s actually used the feature outside of a demo.

I think it’s Rivian, it was some American EV we don’t get here, might have been the Hummer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom