Intergrated or deidicated gpu

Associate
Hi all,

I'm a bit lost as to what to for in a pc primarily used for work. Only really checking emails, Web browsing, occasionally watching films and other media and opening work files of various sizes but nothing huge.

I do want something quick and future proof.

Now do I go for a cpu with integrated graphics and no gpu or something with a gpu?

I really don't know. My budget in total for everything (not including monitors or keyboard or anything) is between £700 and £900.

Anything obvious jumping out at anyone?

Man of Honour
integrated graphics would be fine for your use
tbh, you don't even need to spend your budget
a preowned ex-corp pc eg dell/hp/lenovo etc would be more than sufficient

Man of Honour
Now do I go for a cpu with integrated graphics and no gpu or something with a gpu?
I would get integrated graphics, all 7000 Ryzen CPUs except for the 7500F include the graphics and all Intel CPUs except -F include the graphics.

This build would also support a graphics card, if one day you decide to game on it, but you can get a smaller case and PSU if you're 100% sure you will never need it:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £619.81 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
I keep seeing the 14400f popping up. Would you recommend this?
The goal is to have this for a good few years and it remain nice and quick. I don't mind spending closer to the £900 mark if the chance if that increases. But obviosuly if not then I'll save the ££££

Man of Honour
I keep seeing the 14400f popping up. Would you recommend this?
I 100% would not.

The 12600K in my build is generally cheaper and faster than the 14400F and it includes integrated graphics, while the 14400F has none.

You also run the risk of getting a CPU with a Raptor Lake die and we have no idea how broken these might be. I'd just avoid 13th-14th gen entirely until confirmed otherwise.

Associate
OP
OK this is exactly the kind of thing I needed to know. It's so easy to get lost in the sea of cpu's and 'benchmarks'.

Thank you.

What about this 8600g then? How do they stack up against a 12600k? Being as they are almost the same cost?

Man of Honour
If you're literally just doing web browsing and the like there's zero difference in getting a new pc and a cheaper used ex-corporate one.

Man of Honour
What about this 8600g then? How do they stack up against a 12600k? Being as they are almost the same cost?
The 12600K is a faster CPU, but the 8600G has much more powerful graphics if you ever want to play games on it. The overall cost of a 8600G build will be a bit higher though, because you'd need DDR5 and the boards tend to be more expensive (depends on which one you buy).

AM5 will also have more future CPU upgrades available, since AMD have confirmed they'll support AM5 for another 2-3 years. Realistically though, I don't think you'd need a new one for basic desktop use within 5-10 years.

Associate
OP
I noticed you opted for dd4 over ddr5. I know for what it's used for it may not make much difference, is this simply the reasoning? Obviously with ddr5 becoming more accessible, is it still not viable over ddr4 in this instance?

Man of Honour
I noticed you opted for dd4 over ddr5. I know for what it's used for it may not make much difference, is this simply the reasoning?
Yeah partly, but OCUK have very few Intel DDR5-capable Micro-ATX or ITX motherboards and I didn't think it was worth going full-size ATX for a PC you don't even intend to put a graphics card into.

Obviously with ddr5 becoming more accessible, is it still not viable over ddr4 in this instance?
For your budget, the cost isn't an issue, since you can get everything you want AND DDR5 too, it was just convenience and availability.

One of the cheapest DDR5-capable boards is Asus B760M-K (D5 version), or if you want something more fancy with wifi, e.g. MSI B760M Gaming Plus Wifi. Obviously wise to check they have the slots, USB ports and display outputs that you prefer before you buy one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom