internet availability

Associate
hello. my question is why can i not get fttp yet? i live in london, a populated area in london as well but the only speeds available to me right now are fttc. i have checked on bidb as well but it only says that openreach is planned for my road in 2025...

Caporegime
Digging up highly populated areas is highly unpopular and is difficult to get permission for. Are there no alternative providers? Perhaps a wireless provider?

Soldato
So entitled these London folk... :D

As mentioned some cities can be very difficult granting permits for work. You may well find in the near future Openreach or another altnet turn up and start laying FTTP for you.

Just keep checking bidb.uk regularly to see if any works become scheduled in your area. Not a whole lot else you can do.

Soldato
A lot depends on what is there currently. New housing estates have all the conduits in place ready normally. Much older densely packed urban areas are unlikely to and have a random maze of stuff under the ground to contend with as well. Villages would tend to fair better as there is often little to get in the way.

Soldato
I believe the plan is to have FTTP rolled out to most of the country by 2025.
Unfortunately in life, sometimes you're front of the queue, sometimes you're in the middle and sometimes you're at the back.

Associate
Openreach installed fiber in all the easy roads where i live in a large village i.e. roads with telegraph poles, then they vanished, my road is underground, I was prob the first house in my road to get FTTC I got it before bt e-mailed because I kept checking, it drives me nuts, as soon as I get Fttp I will swap to Zen for the static IP Address they offer.

Associate
OP
Openreach installed fiber in all the easy roads where i live in a large village i.e. roads with telegraph poles, then they vanished, my road is underground, I was prob the first house in my road to get FTTC I got it before bt e-mailed because I kept checking, it drives me nuts, as soon as I get Fttp I will swap to Zen for the static IP Address they offer.
zen offers static ips? what would you need it for?

Soldato
Hosting a server or some sort. Generally most ISPs where you don't disconnect that often keep you on the same IP, although it's not guaranteed.

I remember having the same IP address from Virgin Media for years, same with BT.

RSR

RSR

Soldato

Yes, a quick example. I have migrated my BT phone line over to a VOIP service and its locked down to a static IP to help with security. I can also access stuff from home when out and about which is handy.

A static IP means you can provide service or services, where DDNS isn't suitable.

Soldato
The challenge with a static IP of course, especially if you host your own website or e-mail, is that IP address is visible on DNS/MX records and can be repeatedly attacked so you need to have really decent security.

Associate
hello. my question is why can i not get fttp yet? i live in london, a populated area in london as well but the only speeds available to me right now are fttc. i have checked on bidb as well but it only says that openreach is planned for my road in 2025...

If you live in an apartment block or flat just head onto Hyperoptic and get 10-15% of residents to say they're interested, only takes a year for them to come check you out from that point. BT only usually put in fttp cable once virgin do, when they realise they might loose a lot of customers.

Caporegime
It's not really that simple, if you have unreasonable building management who won't grant wayleaves without getting paid for it then there's nothing that any provider can do.

Associate
That's the type of management you get replaced or get your MP involved with. Most aren't going to be **** about it. I found it was mostly just about convincing the old residents that is a good thing to have it installed - doesn't cost them a thing, no obligation to buy and gives them the chance to get cheaper, faster internet if they ever decide to try it. Not to mention increased desirability if they decide to sell a home with 1gb/1gb. Now all of those lot here can't praise it enough but were right arses trying to get registrations of interest.

Associate
My brother lives in crouch end (North London, about 30 mins cycle from Westminster for those that don't know where it is).

Best fixed line speed available to him? 6mb.

In the 80s two houses were demolished and a small block of flats put up (think there are 12 flats in the block), so BT put direct connections to the flats from a nearby exchange. So, no cabinet to get fttc from, and the exchange is far enough away that adsl is slow. Although there is cable in the street, it doesn't run to the block and virgin aren't interested in installing it even though most in the block want it. 12 is too few to bother apparently. Even 5G isn't good, as the transmitter is blocked by a small hill and many many buildings. Best connection I found him was 20mb ish on 4G.

Open Reach haven't even published when they are going to put fttp in the road, so I expect at least a decade before he can get anything better.

Caporegime
Crouch End like most of that part of London is currently being built to by Hyperoptic, G.Network, and Community Fibre have indicated they are going to use Openreach PIA to build London-wide coverage. It's hardly reasonable to complain that a building put up 30 years before FTTC started to be deployed was directly connected to the exchange rather than going via a cabinet.

Openreach are not a monopoly provider, there is nothing stopping anybody else servicing those apartments other than freeholder permissions and the will to do it.

Has your brother registered the block on the Hyperoptic website and encouraged other residents to do the same?

Associate
My brother lives in crouch end (North London, about 30 mins cycle from Westminster for those that don't know where it is).

Best fixed line speed available to him? 6mb.

In the 80s two houses were demolished and a small block of flats put up (think there are 12 flats in the block), so BT put direct connections to the flats from a nearby exchange. So, no cabinet to get fttc from, and the exchange is far enough away that adsl is slow. Although there is cable in the street, it doesn't run to the block and virgin aren't interested in installing it even though most in the block want it. 12 is too few to bother apparently. Even 5G isn't good, as the transmitter is blocked by a small hill and many many buildings. Best connection I found him was 20mb ish on 4G.

Open Reach haven't even published when they are going to put fttp in the road, so I expect at least a decade before he can get anything better.
I agree with caged. Get him registered on hyperoptic and get him to look into becoming a "hyperoptic champion" so he gets the posters/leaflets do give to other residents. He's in a hyperoptic area, even I managed to get them to come here when they'd never been installing in the city before. I just had to poster/leaflet multiple blocks to show it was worth going to a new city. We had 14mb adsl up until then, the apartments were built in 2012 right next to an exchange (same exchange-only lines) right when fibre to the cabinet was going in, all skipped past us while tiny villages outside the city got both virgin and fttc. Best isp ive ever had, only gone down once in about 8 years now and that was a minor update issue they didn't realise soon after it had gone in, support had it back up for everyone within 30 mins. The brand new 14mb BT lines used to go start dropping connection and speed once a year due to faults and require an engineer to come out to the exchange to fix.

Back
Top Bottom