Internet Explorer 64-bit

Soldato
Just noticed there's a link to Internet Explorer on my Start Menu, as well as a link to a 64 bit version.

I'm assuming that I should be running the 64 bit version as that's what my processor and OS are capable of right?

However the default Internet browser is set to the 32-bit version, I use the new style start menu and I see that the link there (I have internet and mail links) is set to that.

I just can't see where i'm supposed to go to change the default browser from the 32-bit to the 64-bit version. Why doesn't Vista detect this automatically?

Bit odd. :confused:

Associate
This was excactly the same with Windows XP Professional x64, i could never find a way to set the default browser to 64bit which is strange considering it's a 64bit OS, sorry i can't help but i will keep an eye on this thread incase someone has the answer because i to am going to Vista 64bit.

Soldato
My default browser on XP x64 was IEx64... the only problem is that certain key sites don't work on the x64 version! Mainly Microsoft's own Windows Update site, which isn't particularly helpful...

Associate
Sumanji said:
My default browser on XP x64 was IEx64... the only problem is that certain key sites don't work on the x64 version! Mainly Microsoft's own Windows Update site, which isn't particularly helpful...
When you click a link in an e-mail does the 32bit or the 64bit browser get launched, when i had XP x64 installed, clicking a link in an e-mail launched the 32bit browser, i could never get the 64bit browser set as default, it seems to be the same for Vista x64 RC2.

Soldato
OP
Just downloaded Quicktime, which obviously comes with IE plugins for embedded video.

Works fine in IE7 32-bit, but in 64-bit it keeps badgering me to install, when I already have? :confused:

I think this is why 32-bit is default, no addon support for the x64 executable.

Soldato
OP
Nice find NathanE.

Looks like there's no support for the x64 edition of IE, hence why it's not the default browser.

32-bit it is.

Back
Top Bottom