Internet forums

Soldato
Nope. They're dead.

I used to be on a lot of Radio Control forums, but all the content that used to be go onto forums is now posted to facebook groups, and the forums are just a snapshot of what used to be with a fraction of the traffic.

Soldato
A few football ones and occasionally Digital Spy if there's a tv program I want to follow along with.

Other than that Reddit has replaced my need for forums. There really is a reddit for everything.

Reddit has actually also replaced Google search a lot of the time. If I want the answer to something I add 'Reddit' to the end of anything I search.

I had to delete the reddit app, i spent far too much time on it in the AskUk/CasualUK subs particularly. Some of the stuff is rather negative. When i do go on there i look at hobby/band/programming specific subs and try to stay out of the generalised ones.

Soldato
Google results keep serving me Reddit results saying they've gone dark and private. When is that shenanigans going to end?

Forums seem dead. All the old car ones were cool, but just replaced now with facebook groups where you get better up to date responses. Unfortunately you also get a lot of rubbish and repeated questions.

Man of Honour
I used to be on loads, mostly gaming, programming and game design, graphics card related and a few general purpose, but a lot fewer these days though I still lurk on some. Quite a lot of the older forums I used to frequent have closed down or been overrun by people with an agenda, etc. etc. or, and not something I say lightly, increasingly populated by people who are mentally not right at all.

I do periodically jump into some audio DIY ones, etc. as my hobbies take me but don't regularly visit.

Going back 25 years...

1998 - the Virgin.net noticeboard (so many trolls!)
1999 - Montypython.com (as in Monty Python)
2000 - Napigator (Napster plug-in)
2002 - 4clubbers (clubbing)
2003 - Sundissential (clubbing)
2004 - Overclockers (here!)
2007 - UKRides (fairs / theme parks)
2008 - ATFOTF (fairs / theme parks)

Only Overclockers and ATFOTF are still going and I still post on both.

People here have mentioned Reddit. I opened an account in 2018 and occasionally post on there. I find it more interesting than the usual Facebook/Twitter mob.

I also joined a Disney fanart forum in 2010 and it was so strict that I (unintentionally) broke the rules countless times. The art that you drew had to be uploaded to the forum itself, you couldn't link to your deviantART profile etc. In the "introduce yourself" section, you couldn't say your real name or put your age /location in your forum profile. Any discussion about or linking to other Disney sites wasn't allowed, including the official Disneystore. Then the username you picked had to be formed of 2 words put together from a legal list of 2 drop-down menus. Both drop-downs had around 100 words each, so around 10,000 possible combinations and the combination I chose got modded by an admin and I had to pick another! I couldn't be doing with that so only lasted a couple of months. The weird thing was, that although I wasn't allowed to put my age in my profile, I still had their automated "happy birthday" email every year for the next few years lol :D

Back
Top Bottom