Internet in the UK - getting worse (relative to EU + world)

Soldato
Do individual households even need gigabit broadband though?

Probably not but the issue with the current tech is the "up to" and the prone to line failure issues. BT have to run DLM to manage line stability issues on the copper network which can take action which increases latency on the line as well. FTTP fixes a lot of this stuff.

However it is inevitable gigabit would be needed at some point, tech doesnt stand still. Probably in 10 years 4k content will be seen as a blocky mess.

Soldato
Switzerland aren't in the EU, I think you're conflating the EU with Europe it's not like there is some EU right to 10Gbit internet that the evil UK government is withholding from all of us. As a huge EU contributor we've probably funded a lot of the internet infrastructure across the EU whilst our own got neglected.

There's also Bahnhof in Sweden, offering their 10Gbps FTTH service for £25 a month. It's not just about raw download speed, it's the low latency and almost non-existent jitter which opens up a lot of possibilities absent in the average 'good enough' British *DSL connection. If it wasn't for my family I'd move to Sweden, Iceland, Switzerland or similar in a heartbeat.

Associate
It’s one of the things going for Hull.

BT never made it this far, so we have cream phone box’s and 900mb FTP. 2ms ping and solid speeds 100% with no throttling.

10-15 mins for a AAA game download...

Man of Honour
Tell me about it. Sat here in the middle of a city and I don't even have a date for when any sort of fibre will be available and Virgin refuse to install at the property. So currently stuck on 1MB/s ADSL2+ which absolutely sucks when you consider how large games are these days and how you can no longer get hard copies.

That's unbelievable, I reckon I'm less than 2 miles from you on 350 meg.

Caporegime
OP
It depends what one means by decent speeds'; if we look at one of the links you posted https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...untry-ranking-by-average-broadband-speed.html we can see that whilst UK may have low average speeds, we are actually 7th in the EU when it comes to meeting the 30Mbps standard, leaving the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy and France trailing in our wake.

Average speeds don't tell the whole story, what we can see is the UK is actually much better than most at ensuring equality with 94% coverage, I think this is more important than average speeds because people not getting 30mbit makes a massive difference to what they can do, whereas whether you get 50mbit or 100mbit or 1000mbit is less significant.
There are plenty of people on FTTC who can't even get >10 Mb.

FTTP isn't just about pure speed, as I've said repeatedly.

OpenReach just can't be arsed to find and fix faults with the copper/alu coming into your home. They're awful.

Soldato
There are plenty of people on FTTC who can't even get >10 Mb.

FTTP isn't just about pure speed, as I've said repeatedly.

OpenReach just can't be arsed to find and fix faults with the copper/alu coming into your home. They're awful.

This is very true. OR have a problem that they won't decommission the old copper/alu network as they still make money from it. Though the downside is they are having to pay out more and more engineers to keep it going.

Most of the new G.fast connections are temperamental as they require that the copper/alu to the cabinet is a very short distance, and that the line is in near perfect connection.

If BT/OR had kept to the original G.fast deployment plan and put them on nearby poles or manholes to houses we'd have all been on +300Mbps connections now waiting for the incoming FTTP.

Soldato
Rural areas are shockingly bad, did a speed test at my sister's who lives in a small village, got a massive 2.8 mega bits, my phone on 4G got 10 times that. My home broadband is 10 times what 4G can do for me.

Soldato
At work we’re stuck on 5MB. BT say every year that fibre will be installed next year but they’re full of it. We did get satellite broadband but the way it works doesn’t work with our diagnostic boxes that talk directly to manufactures as the links time out.

Can't type for toffee
Don
At work? Why don't they look to the openreach community fibre projects?

Wonder what will happen to bduk, AFAIK it was a EU funded affair.

I'm On 80meg, well in range for ultrafast but nowt incoming soon it seems.

Other service providerslike virvin and gigaclear are available, nowhere near as prominent as openreach tho and I think gigaclear favour blocks of flats. Had 2 mates move out of their flats after years of terrible copper service, only to see gigaclear start work when they were leaving lol!!!

Whilst I'd love higher speeds, other than faster dls I coped just as well on 16meg copper. I reckon 20mb enough for most tbh

Soldato
I'm not surprised.

Others part of Europe invests in their whole country. Perfect examples are Germany and Switzerland. The UK, which really is only England invests in London and London only.

Why are they building HS2.....to improve the train link in the country.....no.....its to benefit London and London only. Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool and the other connections due to be on the line they don't give two hoots about.

As for Broadband, well ours on the whole beats the US but you never see the likes of Google Fibre over here unless Virgin pulls their finger out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, but BT and OpenReach just are not interested. I've been on to them for ages now trying to get it activated on my cabinet but they just ignore me or fob me off. It's got to the point where I'm considering popping into to see my MP and see if there's anything he can do to grease the wheels.
You might have to grease his palms not the wheels, I’m sure that’s how it works with most MPs

Back
Top Bottom