Interstellar -- Trailer (Spoilers!)

Permabanned
That's because I didn't offer any :D Was trying to rationalise your argument which I have come to the conclusion is illogical for me and not one I can be content with.

I feel for your argument to work it has to ignore the fact to transcend the beings were once un-transcended so to speak and had at one point done it alone unaided.

No they had not. You are trying to assimilate something that doesn't need to happen, you are introducing a condition that doesn't exist. The whole point of a CTC is that the Event causes itself to exist. There is no 'fact' to ignore or rationalise as The Event (transcendence) and The Cause (Cooper) exist simultaneously. The Cause allows The Event which creates The Cause. Thus the CTC.

Soldato
You'll soon learn Craterload that arguing with Castiel is like being stuck in an infinite tesseract time loop of pointlessness. I almost swear he just trolls people with counter arguments of complete nonsense even when he doesn't believe it. I don't think I'm alone in this thinking. Save yourself the time and effort next time. Just ignore him.

Last edited:
Soldato
No they had not. You are trying to assimilate something that doesn't need to happen, you are introducing a condition that doesn't exist. The whole point of a CTC is that the Event causes itself to exist. There is no 'fact' to ignore or rationalise as The Event (transcendence) and The Cause (Cooper) exist simultaneously. The Cause allows The Event which creates The Cause. Thus the CTC.

CTC?

The initial path must have been different if the one presented now involves something that didn't exist (tesseract) from an omnipresent being, even though it exists at all times after transcendence.

So what leads up to the event (transcendence) surely is un-transcended beings doing it un-aided since the event hasn't occurred yet.

What you are saying is the path Coop begins leads to an event which causes the path coop starts with which simply doesn't work. That would be a great loop but the loop only works given there's a black hole and tesseract conveniently placed for coop to find, which in a different time simply didn't exist and had to be created by transcended beings. That had to occur before a tesseract could be created and then exist at all times. Which leads me back to the point someone, somewhere did it unaided.

Last edited:
Permabanned

Closed Timelike Curve. CTC.

The initial path must have been different if the one presented now involves something that didn't exist (tesseract) from an omnipresent being.

Why?

The Cause created the Event and the Event created the Cause...they exist in the same causal reality. There is no change to a timeline as the timeline hasn't happened yet.

Cooper didn't change the past (he couldn't get himself to 'stay' is the vehicle used in the film to illustrate this) he created it.

So what leads up to the event (transcendence) surely is un-transcended beings doing it un-aided since the event hasn't occurred yet.

The Event is created by The Cause. Once the Event happens the Event creates the Cause...this is simultaneous for all intents and purposes as The Event is the transcendence into Omnipresence. Like a blanket it covers the entire timeline. The concept of When becomes meaningless.

What you are saying is the path Coop begins leads to an event which causes the path coop starts with which simply doesn't work.

Not quite...The Event is Humanity transcending outside of the constraints of four dimensional space time, The Cause is the understanding of Quantum Gravity. Cooper (and by association Murphy) is merely the device used to create the the necessary criteria for The Cause to happen which leads to The Event...The Tesseract is just a construct to allow Cooper to interact with Four Dimensional Space from a Five Dimensional framework, thus bypassing the confines of Linear Spacetime and negating the predestination paradox.

That would be a great loop but the loop only works given there's a black hole and tesseract conveniently placed for coop to find, which in a different time simply didn't exist and had to be created by transcended beings. That's had to occur before a tesseract could be created and then exist at all times. Which leads me back to the point someone, somewhere did it unaided.

Why?, if the theoretical Astrophysics involved in a Closed Timelike Curve is accepted (as we have to in this reference as it is in the Film under discussion) then humanity transcend due to the discovery of the quantum data (on gravity)...this is both The Event (Humanity transcending) and The Cause (Quantum Gravity Data).

The physics involved allows The Event to create itself. At no time does Humanity transcend "unaided".

Last edited:
Permabanned
So about this movie, is it worth a watch?

Thinking of taking my daughter to see it this week.

Its definitely worth a watch. I took my 15 year old boy the first time, thinking that it might not entirely appeal to him and his Avengers/Deadpool/Walking Dead tastes, but he loved it.

Soldato
It is a good film, let down by two things.

1) Some dodgy depth of field meaning some odd focal points. If you don't concentrate too hard on it, you won't notice it, but during slow points it was all I could think about.

2) Terrible audio mixing at times. When Dark Knight Rises trailer came out, everyone moaned at how unintelligible Bane was so Nolan changed it. If the hospital bed scenes had been in the trailer, the same would probably have happened.

Note, when you see a hospital bed, make sure to concentrate hard on the sound :p

Associate
Closed Timelike Curve. CTC.

Why?

The Cause created the Event and the Event created the Cause...they exist in the same causal reality. There is no change to a timeline as the timeline hasn't happened yet.

Cooper didn't change the past (he couldn't get himself to 'stay' is the vehicle used in the film to illustrate this) he created it.

The Event is created by The Cause. Once the Event happens the Event creates the Cause...this is simultaneous for all intents and purposes as The Event is the transcendence into Omnipresence. Like a blanket it covers the entire timeline. The concept of When becomes meaningless.

Not quite...The Event is Humanity transcending outside of the constraints of four dimensional space time, The Cause is the understanding of Quantum Gravity. Cooper (and by association Murphy) is merely the device used to create the the necessary criteria for The Cause to happen which leads to The Event...The Tesseract is just a construct to allow Cooper to interact with Four Dimensional Space from a Five Dimensional framework, thus bypassing the confines of Linear Spacetime and negating the predestination paradox.

Why?, if the theoretical Astrophysics involved in a Closed Timelike Curve is accepted (as we have to in this reference as it is in the Film under discussion) then humanity transcend due to the discovery of the quantum data (on gravity)...this is both The Event (Humanity transcending) and The Cause (Quantum Gravity Data).

The physics involved allows The Event to create itself. At no time does Humanity transcend "unaided".

I love it when people try and think so in depth and hard about the meaning of something some guy wrote to make some money! The Nolans are wiping their butts with 100 dollar bills whilst laughing at those trying to rationalise and find the deeper meaning to a film he made for the $$$. All you need to do when you arent creative enough to come up with a decent plot ender is throw in a bit of time travel which can never make sense as it is is always just a paradox and then hope that enough people will look for a deep answer and meaning to make it seem like an extremely smart piece of film.

Kudos to you Nolan

edit: I loved the film as a whole as the first 2 hours really allowed me to imagine and experience on screen what space exploration would be like...however the last hour was just awful and ruined it.

Permabanned
I love it when people try and think so in depth and hard about the meaning of something some guy wrote to make some money! The Nolans are wiping their butts with 100 dollar bills whilst laughing at those trying to rationalise and find the deeper meaning to a film he made for the $$$. All you need to do when you arent creative enough to come up with a decent plot ender is throw in a bit of time travel which can never make sense as it is is always just a paradox and then hope that enough people will look for a deep answer and meaning to make it seem like an extremely smart piece of film.

Yep, that's why they went to Kip Thorne to make sure it all had some semblance of scientific veracity. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
I was so disappointed in this movie as I LOVE epic sci-fi /hell, it doesn't have to be epic), but it was a decent concept that was just so clumsily cobbled together.

1) The Earth disaster story was just intensely lame (dust blight, because that's much cheaper and easier to film while still maintaining a backwater town feel, they probably saved millions of dollars there) and the transition from there to space too jarring. Where was the sense of scale? Were the oceans bare? Farmlife all dead? You had no real sense of tragedy or devestation. It was weak.
2) The script is AWFUL. In some places I literally could not believe how bad some of the lines were. The Love transcending space speech was awkwardly written and delivered. It just felt like the actors really didn't believe in what they were shooting, it just was not done convincingly, especially with Matt Damon who was possibly the least comfortable i have seen him.
3) Anne Hathaway... completely annoyingly portrayed and engendered zero sympathy with Dr. Brand. Her actions on the planet, and during the "lets vote for which planet next", were just stupid, and completely out of sorts for the situation and her profession, regardless of the love theme they tacked on to her role.
4)The robot... oh god the robot. Apparently, someone decided that in the future it would be a great idea to have an impractically locomotive robot with sharp angular edges (great for space suits, right?) that has about as much articulative ability as a forklift truck. Or at least it would have, had the designers not made it suddenly and improbably move about 100x faster than its design would ever practicably allow. It was kind of cool to look at, but also amusingly ridiculous.
5) The music was awful and grating, as well as too loud. It did not suit the on-screen action.
6) The plot in general I found sketchy at best. The last 40 mins were just groanworthy. I mean really, humans that are now so successfully advanced that they can exist in 5 dimensions want to now change time and stop their millions of years of evolution? And this space pilot, after being away 90 years, can just hop in an unfamiliar ship (that looked like a tiny scout ship, can't imagine range or robustness was so amazing) and pilot it out of the space station without raising any alarms? Please, arrgh.
7) Some of the special effects looked ropey... the black hole folding in on itself especially looked too artificual.

I love science fiction, I love good movies. Hell, as long as a movie forces me to suspend my disbelief then I even enjoy mediocre movies. This did not succeed on any front that I can think of barring the occasional nice set piece of visuals.

4.5/10 (yes, really).

Last edited:
Caporegime

Going back to your beetles in a box analogy you say "Now along comes a beetle with the key to the lid". Where did he get the key if the box was closed?

Caporegime
Found out where Castiel has been hiding for the past few days, Now he's a theoretical physicist too. :p

Going to watch it tomorrow. Quite scared i miss "stuff"

All this CTC theory is pretty ridiculous to comprehend as we are creatures of linear time.
Ill go in and watch it for what i see it as then see what everyone thinks after.

Associate
..however the last hour was just awful and ruined it.

Can't disagree with this enough. Even tho the last bit felt a bit 'Kubric', for me it brought the film together.
I got really emotional too which really surprised me.

I really got the sense of Anne H been totally alone at the end;gave me goosebumps and agree it will become a classic.

Oh and I don't give a stuff about all the theoretical nonsense been sprouted earlier. It's just a film for flips sake, doesn't have to be able to really happen.

Jb

Caporegime
Just got back from watching it and really no idea what all the physics fuss was, it was all handed to you on a plate to understand and that was that. Sure you can read more about it but no need.

The bit we didn't get and maybe missed something. ill spoiler tag it.

Why did Matt Dameon (DR Mann) Flip out and try to kill Matt Mcconaughey (Cooper)? Cooper had said he was going back through the wormhole to our Solar System (home), Mann Had lied and said the planet was nice and cosy, so plan B was going to happen (THE false data on KIPP was discovered but never revealed to "i dreamed a dream of time gone by woman" but it blew up Black Guy, all he had to do was hitch a lift back with Cooper, Why try to kill him ?

Are we to believe he was just a bit mental through loneliness (but black guy spent 23 years alone and wasn't even bothered?? too much) - Or He wanted to finish Plan B on the other planet even tho he clearly says he was scared of dying alone - blah blah lonely human syndrome??? (but plan B was the real plan all along because the whole of A was bs and lies just to get them to go because humans are sasssy creatures

Overall a great film but no where near as complicated as people like to make out to look clever it appears....lots of inconsistency and lots of assumption needed by the audience with time scales to travel between planets, but yeah good film a little BS but overall nice! :)

Way too many spoilers in the beginning that basically give it all away too anyone with a brain - but maybe that's intended.

Sound track whilst good was less than i had expected too....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom