Interview advice

Soldato
Just finished university.

Not confirmed yet (waiting on the recruitment firm) but I may have an interview next week for a Sales Administrator job with an Italian multinational engineering firm not far from me.

Thing is, the interview is with the MD, rather than HR or a lowly manager.

It's been a few years since I last had interviews... ASDA - group interview that involved arts and crafts, Next and B&Q - ten minute chats with HR/Supervisors, so I have a feeling this may be a bit different.

So I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm guessing shirt and tie is a given, and I'm gonna do plenty of research about the company beforehand (it's actually very interesting despite the fact that I didn't do engineering at uni).

Associate
Yep, definitely shirt and tie as a minimum and ideally a suit.

Prepare by researching background info as you've said, and also be prepared for fluffy HR type questions such as "why this company?" and "why do you think you'd be a good fit for the job?"

Many companies now use competency based interviews - basically asking you to use real world examples of how you've approached (or would approach) a particular situation. It's worth reading up on this as once you learn the approach it can really help you form your answers without waffling.

Oh, and best of luck! :)

Soldato
OP
See I thought with them being an Italian company (although I think their staff here are all UK), they may have a completely different etiquette with regards to formality?

I did actually have an interview with the civil service a few years ago that I think was competency based, and I did okay, just didn't get the job because I wasn't experienced enough in an office/administrative role. It was for the passport service.

Cheers

Associate
Almost all interviews these days are competency based, take your time to master the STAR technique (Google it) and put together some Q&A then you're set.

Associate
See I thought with them being an Italian company (although I think their staff here are all UK), they may have a completely different etiquette with regards to formality?

Fair point and one I am not qualified to comment on. Having said that I can't imagine ever being penalised for dressing smartly when attending any interview.

Associate

Don't make this assumption.

Wear a suit.

Doesn't matter if it's the MD of google or some local family owned business.

Always wear a suit to an interview.

Soldato
OP
This interview didn't materialise in the end.

Had a phone interview and a data assessment for another place last week - didn't get it.

However, just had a call this morning saying I've got an interview on Friday for a Purchasing Administrator role. It's a 2 hour interview! Surely that can't be normal?

45 minutes each with the Purchasing Manager and the HR Manager, and then a tour of the building/company.

Yikes.

Associate
2 hours is longer than average, but not particularly abnormal. Look at it this way, you'll not be rushed giving time to answer questions.

From what you've said 30 minutes of that will likely be a building tour. Remember you're still being evaluated even in that scenario so if the opportunity arises, be prepared to ask relevant questions to show your interest.

Oh, and best of luck :)

Soldato
OP
Cheers

It is preferable to doing assessments, phone interviews, etc, before hand that's for sure.

They do drug discovery services, so testing, production, pharmacology, etc.

They're an interesting company, based in Germany, so there's scope for progression. The purchasing team here is quite small apparently, 3 or 4 people, which would be a nice working environment if they all get along well.

Lots to research on their website which is a good start, too. It's ridiculous when companies have barely anything on their websites and then ask detailed questions that you could never really know the answer to unless you've worked in that role and sector before.

Soldato
OP
So I have this interview tomorrow at 9am, and I've just been asked by the same recruitment agency whether I can attend another at 1pm for a Forensic Admin Role in a lab.

Also got another interview next week at a school for an accounts admin role, and another possible opportunity with a local accountancy firm but the salary is a bit less than the school role (works out at minimum wage for me, and no guarantee of funding for further training where as the school role will include AAT courses if required).

Not sure which one I really want. The accounts and purchasing roles have more promise in them with regards to a career and gaining further qualifications (even if I'll have to fund it myself and do it in my spare time), where as the admin job in the lab is just that but sounds a whole lot more interesting in terms of the day to day, and the recruiter said on the phone that they more often than not promote from within.

Does anyone have experience with managing multiple job offers? Getting ahead of myself definitely, but in the unlikely event that I'm offered more than one of these roles how should I proceed with regards to accepting offers until all my interviews are done?

Last edited:
Associate
A formal offer usually takes a while to put together. Anywhere from a week to a few weeks. They may ask you for a verbal acceptance, which is obviously not binding in any way. You'll need to know the salary before you can give a verbal acceptance, so this may allow you to delay it by a few days.

Personally, my advice would be to not mess anyone about. You get people who accept offers verbally, only to turn them down later. You then burn your bridges if you ever happen to go back to that firm for another interview. Also, it's not impossible that your reputation may spread to other firms - this is particularly important in certain industries where people talk to one another and move around a lot.

Perhaps just be honest and say you are exploring a number of opportunities and will make a decision shortly on which one to go for. This can work in your favour sometimes, as employers will see you as somebody who is in demand and will not want to lose you. They may even offer you more because of this. It can also work against you if the employer thinks they can easily get somebody else equally qualified and suitable and not bother waiting around for you.

Soldato
OP
Solid advice, cheers!

In other news, I've decided not to interview for the forensic admin role, as the more I've researched it and the company, it's clear that it's not really a role that offers the kind of opportunities that I'm after with regards to further training and progression. It is after all just admin, and whilst it'd be good for my CV I'm sure, I'm ready for a career now. If I was 5 years younger with no work experience maybe it'd make more sense.

Not helped by stories on employment sites about how their staff turnover is quite high and that being the reason why they're constantly hiring for these and lab work roles. They apparently lay people off quite frequently as there isn't a steady demand.

Man of Honour
the recruiter said on the phone that they more often than not promote from within.

"This is a dead-end job with no prospects", said no recruiter ever.

the more I've researched it and the company, it's clear that it's not really a role that offers the kind of opportunities that I'm after with regards to further training and progression

:)

Soldato
OP
Got a phone interview tomorrow for the lesser paid job at the accountants.

It's a bit weird though. I originally applied for an Accounts Trainee role with them. They sent me a quick online test to do. Did that. Got feedback saying that although I'd completed the test fine, they would not consider me for the role because of my lack of experience. Instead they asked if I would be interested in a Client Admin role, for the same money (minimum wage).

Surely the point of an Accounts Trainee role (especially when advertised as including funding for AAT) is for somebody without any formal accounts experience?

The job spec they sent me for the other role includes:

Monthly payroll processing and year end filing, construction industry verification and monthly returns, limited company annual return preparation and filing, dividend preparation and filing, companies house changes, office admin and reception for client tax returns and annual accounts, client communication with regards to payments and dates.

Which sounds an awful lot like the kind of thing an Accounts Trainee would be doing whilst doing AAT, and matches the job advert that I applied for in the first place.

Doesn't inspire confidence in their organisation... or it could be a mix up with the recruitment agency handling it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom