Interview nerves

Associate
Hi All,

On Wednesday i've got a job interview. It's the first interview i've had for the past 4 years. I'm absolutely bricking it. I usually get so nervous my hands start shaking like mad and doing anything like writing becomes almost impossible. I know during the interview there are going to be 3 tests. Verbal, practical and written. The written is of particular concern, i remember one interview a few years back where my hands were shaking so bad i struggled to write my name on a form.

How do other people handle interview nerves ?

Associate
I'm at uni atm, but have had many interviews in the past. I don't get nervous for exams or interviews, but for some inexplicable reason I always struggle with presentations (I think there's some repressed childhood trauma at work in there), which is odd, because I normally quite enjoy being the centre of attention. :o

I've found that practice and being fully prepared is the best way to combat nerves. Do you have anyone that can help you simulate an interview environment? Do you have an idea of what the tests are about? If you are prepared, it will help your confidence.

Also, remember you have as much right to be at that interview as everyone else. Good luck!

Permabanned
Its normal to get a bit nervous, if you weren't nervous a bit then id think you were over confident. No one wants to hire someone who appears to have no confidence. Its just a state of mind, you have to remember to breathe as that will calm you down and just try and focus on the tasks at hand and not think too far a head. One way to do is treat the interview as if you have many interviews lined up and that you are simply considering this job out of a load you have available. This can help your confidence, these sorts of mind tricks, but be careful not to come across as arrogant.

Soldato
I get nervous in advance, but spend much of the build up getting "in character" such that I walk into the interview pretty much nerveless. It's just like another business meeting - don't build it up too much, and remember that it's a two-way process (you're checking their suitability too).

Get in the mindset that you ARE the right person for the job. You need to be convinced such that you not getting the job will be down to their incompetence not yours (the time for critical introspection is AFTER the interview, not during). And if you can't convince yourself, how do you expect to convince them?

Soldato
Try taken some kalms over the weekend and see if they help, if they do, keep taking them up till interview day.

Associate
Pretty much what Cheesyboy said.

I would also make sure to have some interesting questions to ask them. Do some research on the company. Look for things about the position you are applying for, the company or the market you will be working in.

I do recall one interview that I did this for. It made me stand out from others when the interview panel told me they did not have the answer to my question and would get back to me before the end of the day with an answer.

Soldato
Sit there, and in your head, repeat after me:

I am calm and collective.

My facial muscles are relaxed.

AND REPEAT

Keep doing this. Maybe smile as well to release some endorphins.

Soldato
Best advice is to be prepared and simply take it slow!

Any decent interviewer will understand it's a nervous time and account for it so just take your time and don't try to rush!

Permabanned
Sit there, and in your head, repeat after me:

AND REPEAT

Keep doing this. Maybe smile as well to release some endorphins.

Calm and collected would be better.

OP, just imagine yourself naked and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom