Interview - rude to ask if I got the job?

Associate
So basically I had an interview and they said I would hear back from them this week. I am desperate to know the outcome of this interview because I am starting a 4 month contract tomorrow.

Is it rude to ask if I got the job? I don't know how to phrase it. It does show enthusiasm but I don't want them to think I am over eager.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
It's only Tuesday so I'd wait but then I got 2 letters saying I hadn't got the job (talk about rubbing it in) then a phone call asking me when I could start :confused: + :rolleyes: = :p

Associate
OP
So even if I say something fancy like....

Thank you very much for the interview it was great to meet you.
I look forward to hearing about the outcome of the job..etc

Without being blatent?

Man of Honour
Just drop them an email asking politely that they let you know.

It shows a bit of initiative if nothing else.

:edit: Oh wait, I read the OP wrong. Don't drop them an email, wait until they said they would get back to you. Bit of a bad situation to put yourself in though, to be starting a 4 month contract with someone else!

I can't find an advice animal for this but I think the text should do.

DESPERATE FOR JOB.

SIGNS 4 MONTH CONTRACT WITH OTHER COMPANY.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
J

DESPERATE FOR JOB.

SIGNS 4 MONTH CONTRACT WITH OTHER COMPANY.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me: what if he didn't get the job he wants? If he hadn't taken the contract then he is (still) unemployed. As a dole-monger myself, it's all part of the fun you have, balancing this application, that interview etc. That said, I'm not sure why the OP can't start the contract, then leave if this job comes up. Anyone who employs a contractor must understand this risk.

Soldato
You should have told them when you need to know by before the interview...

How do you plan on getting out of the other job anyway? Could you not just start that job, then leave if you get the other one?

Soldato
Just ring them up and ask. I've done it plenty of times when I was job hunting.

"Hi, I'm wondering if you had any feedback about the interview? I know it's quite soon to be calling, I'm just keen to secure the position blah blah".
"No/Yes/Still interviewing others (ie. No)".
"kthxbye".

Done.

Permabanned
I tried this and was told that the date was fixed because of further interviews. Then the agency phoned me to say 'go and have a drink - you got the job!!!' Then 2 days later I got a call (from the employers) saying they should have not told you that because you didn't this time - but next opening is yours guaranteed - 3 years on and I still haven't heard from them....thankfully I got a decent job a few week later and they think I'm the dogs testicles...
AHHH all part of the rich tapestry.....

Back
Top Bottom