Intranet solutions

Soldato
I've been tasked with revamping our intranet, im not quite sure why, its not where my strength are but hey ho....
Currently its sharepoint hosted in 365, a few library's and a few work flows nothing exotic but its a mess, a real mess and so slow, (SharePoint at its finest!)

Anyhow im stuck between 2 board members, one just wants "a new clean intranet" insinuating it will be a simple job and the other is questioning why we even need an intranet, the needs of the staff align with the current system. (or lack the will to change / consider something new) - the poison challis almost.

Im leaning more towards the 2nd board member but we still need something as a focus point "shop window" that links to the various departments, and a few new smaller apps that utilise the likes of flow/powerapps/dynamics. we still need sharepoint but we are also making great use of the new offerings, hence the need for a more upto date solution

So just wondering if anyone has moved away from the archaic beast that is sharepoint as the pivot point to your intranet?

Im debating Wordpress or the modern sharepoint sites but would also be interested to hear of anything else that may be better!

Caporegime
Don't bother doing anything until you've got a clear understanding of what it's meant to be, and buy-in from departments that they are going to contribute to it and encourage/enforce its use. There's no point making a staff portal if HR still insist on sending company-wide emails and never update any policy documents that are posted there, for example.

Implementing the platform it runs on is an IT project, but the content is not.

Soldato
OP
We've just rebuilt our intranet (for a 100k multinational) using SharePoint Online modern pages. We've kept it out of the box and it works really well.

:)
cheers, i suspect we will be likely heading down this route, everything else is designed to work with/alongside sharepoint so i suspect anything else will be a real nightmare to do well. Its just a complete pig to work with!

We've had our fingers burned going off piste in the past with Sharepoint and sharepoint online so it will very much be kept as standard as possible!

Don't bother doing anything until you've got a clear understanding of what it's meant to be, and buy-in from departments that they are going to contribute to it and encourage/enforce its use. There's no point making a staff portal if HR still insist on sending company-wide emails and never update any policy documents that are posted there, for example.

Implementing the platform it runs on is an IT project, but the content is not.

Easier said than done when you have 2 very conflicting ideas coming from the very top! :) I'm currently very much stalling for time with the intention of getting some sort of common vision out of them whilst putting some ideas together and consulting with the individual departments.

Permabanned
It’s not going to go far fast if you have 2 conflicting uppers trying to decide.

If it’s just document management somewhere to save documents have you considered own cloud? You can just set up departments that are shared amongst each other. Top Level > Departmental.

Is this intranet going to be where the home page is pointed too in all browsers?

Permabanned
I'd do 2 things.

1. Make a simple homepage with links to various systems people use regularly. Set this as their browser homepage.

2. Make a Wiki for key people from each department to maintain key information.

Everyone I know who has used SharePoint has said they hate it, so I wouldn't even bother giving people something they hate.

Back
Top Bottom