Intrusive Facebook.

Associate
Noticed this a lot lately and it has been really bugging me.

Example.

Go to break.com whilst logged into facebook.

Down the bottom right it will tell me about what my friends have been sharing on Facebook. Obviously this is some facebook plugin that websites can employ, however it feels very invasive to me, I have looked in my privacy settings and there doesnt seem to be a way to disable this!

Anyone think this is too much or am I over reacting, furthermore does anyone know how to stop it!?

Soldato
Yeah I know if I log out it stops, however why the **** should I have to?

If you like remaining logged in to Facebook, why do you have a problem receiving updates from Facebook?

What exactly are you seeing? All I see on break.com is the Like box.

Associate
If I go to that website I dont get anything apart from the like buttons

It may have something to do with the instant personalisation setting hidden in privacy settings, It says its not available yet for me which is maybe why I dont see anything.

Just a thought...

Permabanned
My older brother recently uploaded a bunch of his wedding photos to Facebook and nearly **** a brick when it automatically picked out his missus face in nearly every picture he'd uploaded, asking if he wanted to tag them all. I told him that was one of the many reasons that I didn't use Facebook. He was just "woah" (like Keanu Reeves) and then carried on regardless.

Soldato
Go to break.com whilst logged into facebook.

Down the bottom right it will tell me about what my friends have been sharing on Facebook. Obviously this is some facebook plugin that websites can employ, however it feels very invasive to me, I have looked in my privacy settings and there doesnt seem to be a way to disable this!

Same thing as Engadget use?

sharebox.jpg

I don't mind it all, I like seeing what other people thought was interesting.

Soldato
Facebook really isn't very invasive to privacy providing you spend a few minutes setting it up (read: opting out of most of the features). And TBH if someone really wanted to find out about me, theres much better ways then facebook on the "dark side of the internet" ;)

Associate
As said, I think its the Instant personalisation that does this, it's in your privacy settings under "Apps, games and websites". Might want to check "Information accessible through your friends" as well.

Hope it helps.

Soldato
I haven't been on any websites where this happens. What annoys me is the silly privacy settings not allowing you to differentiate between videos and pictures, or set individual controls for certain pictures or albums. Also, when I get added to a group, email settings seem to automatically email me with everything that goes on in the group so I have to log on and sort through the privacy settings so that it doesn't email me all the time, with no obvious way to stop this (or to stop being added to groups without consent).

The news feed is also extremely annoying now as there are no status only, or picture only lists.

If only I wasn't so lazy, I would delete most of my 'friends'. Alas, long summer evenings can get very boring without some mindless scrolling.

Soldato
If you don't like it, don't use it. Facebook is a company. If it introduces a new function which stands a good chance of making it money, it will opt its users into it - you give it this ability when you sign up to it. Personally, I've got no problems with seeing what people on my friends list like.

Hitman
Soldato
Am I missing something? Why is this invasive?

I run a large website (3-5m hits/mo) and we employ the Facebook social widgets. You embed them on your site through an iframe. We can't see who your friends are, we can't see what your friends share and we can't pull your information from it.

If you're talking about the recommendations widget, then no-one else can see whether you or a friend of yours has shared anything. It will show you if your friend has liked/shared a link on that particular site, but that's it. To others, it shows a number. You can find out this information by going onto your friends page. If you can see they've liked it, it means they've let you see they've liked it, therefore Facebook show that they've liked it.

The only way it could be invasive - pull your information, see who your friends are, etc - is if you authorise our Facebook App to do so. It explains what permissions the app requires upon authorisation.

Talk about an over reaction.

Back
Top Bottom