iOS Application, Where do I start?

Associate
Hello guys,

I was wondering where to start on creating an app for the iOS platform and then eventually an Android based app also.

These are the few things that I want this app to do:
  • Basic Line Navigation e.g. About Us, Contact Us etc
  • Have a Login
  • Display Projects
  • Be able to send out notifications from a person who has logged in
The app is for a construction company, I know this is not going to be easy, all I would like to know is where to start, I don't mind reading a couple books if it comes to it to learn the knowledge, I have knowledge of PHP, some Java, HTML5, CSS and a few others.

I also know that you have to pay a yearly fee to Apple to become a developer.

Would this be a place to start?
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-iPhone-App

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello guys,

I was wondering where to start on creating an app for the iOS platform and then eventually an Android based app also.

These are the few things that I want this app to do:
  • Basic Line Navigation e.g. About Us, Contact Us etc
  • Have a Login
  • Display Projects
  • Be able to send out notifications from a person who has logged in
The app is for a construction company
Is there any reason why you want a mobile app?

There have been a lot of articles for mobile app vs responsive website/webapp

Here are some points made in a recent article I read this week
Mobile app, you need to create a different version for iOS, Android, etc
Mobile website, there’s only one common platform: the browser

Most mobile apps don’t achieve critical success and fade into the world of anonymity.
With mobile websites, people can find your site by using any of the search engines and via links from other websites, blogs, Twitter and links embedded in emails.

Distribution & Market Size
Whether it’s Google or Apple, the apps are at the mercy of the App Store police in regards to availability and approvals to get it in. From there, obviously the ultimate objective is to get users to download the app. With a mobile website, anyone on the web has access to your mobile site.

Entry Costs
Some App Stores charge extra fees for publishing or certifying your app (Apple charges developers $99 and enterprises $299).
With mobile websites, there are no entry costs.
Personally, I have a android phone and if I download an app that is basically a website I just remove it (eg: three mobile app) as I can just use my web browser.

From what you have put, it seems a lot easier to achieve within a webapp

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is there any reason why you want a mobile app?

There have been a lot of articles for mobile app vs responsive website/webapp

Here are some points made in a recent article I read this week

Personally, I have a android phone and if I download an app that is basically a website I just remove it (eg: three mobile app) as I can just use my web browser.

It's because the company want's an app, they have a website which is very basic itself, and this company is not a small company and will have many people who use it on a daily basis, for projects, jobs etc.

And I know that a native app to iOS will run a lot smoother than a webapp/website will and even be able to store data offline such as contacts.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok quick couple of points/queries;

1) If its primarily for a company then an enterprise license is needed in order to make the apps "private" for the company only £400(iirc). Otherwise youll have to release on the main app store.

2)Other than PHP none of the languages you've listed will be much use for an iOS app. iOS for something like this would require obj-C, PHP, SQL(not huge amounts of knowledge by far).

3) Are you charging this company? :eek:.

I found this guy quite useful when I was starting out;

http://www.raywenderlich.com/

Associate
OP
Ok quick couple of points/queries;

1) If its primarily for a company then an enterprise license is needed in order to make the apps "private" for the company only £400(iirc). Otherwise youll have to release on the main app store.

2)Other than PHP none of the languages you've listed will be much use for an iOS app. iOS for something like this would require obj-C, PHP, SQL(not huge amounts of knowledge by far).

3) Are you charging this company? :eek:.

I found this guy quite useful when I was starting out;

http://www.raywenderlich.com/

1) No need to make it private, as anyone should be able to use it.

2) I've worked with SQL for databases e.g. phpmyadmin so Obj-C I would have to pick up on and the others as I haven't coded for a while.

3) You see the company I'm doing it for doesn't actually know, not yet anyway, I want to create it then present it to them, my Dad knows and works with the CEO & Chairman, which will enable me to present it to him if my dad asks him and If they like it no doubt they will give me my fair share of the money to say the least :D.

Thanks again for the responses.

Soldato
It's because the company want's an app....

I've been in the same situation plenty of times with clients and 'because' isn't a good enough reason for platform specific applications. Majority of the time, a mobile web app is the better solution for the requirements.

And I know that a native app to iOS will run a lot smoother than a webapp/website will and even be able to store data offline such as contacts.

Regarding a native app being 'smoother', this isn't necessarily true as it massively depends on the device, code and optimisation.
Likewise, HTML5 allows for client-side storage so there's no issue there.

I'd recommend you write down the requirements and tech spec for the project and then pick a solution that fits it as there are pros and cons for both native and web apps.

Soldato
I would imagine the need for notifications to be displayed is a reason why they would need to go for an APP.

But if they are using iPhones there should be no reason why they cannot use email for the notifications.

Sounds like the company (Someone in the company) trying to sound/look good by saying they now have an APP.

Associate
3) You see the company I'm doing it for doesn't actually know, not yet anyway, I want to create it then present it to them, my Dad knows and works with the CEO & Chairman, which will enable me to present it to him if my dad asks him and If they like it no doubt they will give me my fair share of the money to say the least :D.

Seems like the worst possible way of presentating your idea.

You could just make glorified presentation that looks like an app and present it on your phone.

If I were you, I wouldn't even bother showing any design at all. There is nothing worse then showing half baked material. Instead concentrate on the proposal with good insightful data, and reasons for building the app in the first place.

Soldato
If I were you, I wouldn't even bother showing any design at all. There is nothing worse then showing half baked material. Instead concentrate on the proposal with good insightful data, and reasons for building the app in the first place.

As part of the presentation, in order to sell the idea (remember, he is approaching them, they are not approaching him - this is effectively a cold call), he will need to give them a glimpse of what the new app/website can do.

I think he will need to definitely program something and have a partially working application. The idea is to get the client "hooked".

If the OP comes in with a presentation only, the CEO may not get "hooked" and give an answer of "I will think about it and let you know if interested". Of course, the OP may spend many hours making the app, then on presentation day, may get the same cold response...in which case he has wasted his time.

I'm assuming though, he wants to learn and create a portfolio, so it may not be a complete waste of time, even if the CEO tells him he is not interested. Learning and knowledge is never a waste, IMO.

It really depends on how much time the OP is willing to risk on the project.

Back
Top Bottom