iOS Development, is this possible?

Soldato
Hi all,

One for the ios devs among us.

My client requires the following custom app being built, and I'd like to know if it's technically possible.

The app is very simple. You click on the icon to launch and see the following

Username
Password
Login

The user enters their username and password and the credentials go to the wifi settings and connects them to an SSID. It then takes the same credentials and logs them into onedrive.

Once the user has finished, they go back into the app where the login button has changed to logout. They click it and it removes their credentials ready for the next user.

There is an installation of cisco meraki on site which I believe can deploy custom apps.

Thanks

is there a need for the wifi bit?

As far as I know they'll have to set up the wifi login separately. You can open the wifi settings page from app but I don't believe you can send Params to it.

Unless I'm misreading it the one drive account has the same login as the wifi?

Last edited:
is there a need for the wifi bit?

As far as I know they'll have to set up the wifi login separately. You can open the wifi settings page from app but I don't believe you can send Params to it.

Unless I'm misreading it the one drive account has the same login as the wifi?

Yes that's correct. Same user credentials for the wifi and onedrive.
Ideally it would be great if the app could somehow connect to the wifi ssid with the credentials.

Right is the Dropbox a pre made one? Ie a business one rather than the individual app users?

I've just checked again there doesn't seem to be a way to manipulate wifi from within app without it being a jailbroken phone. The options are limited to opening the settings page.

Maybe if you're allowed to explain what the need is and someone will give a better way of doing it.

Thanks for looking, it's really helpful

It's for a very large university. They want their library department to store 50 iPads. Students can book them out in hour long slots.

Basically what they want is for them to quickly and easily connect to the corporate wifi (using the students login and password) which also connects them to their one drive (its the same login and password).

Once they have finished, they need to logout ready for the next student

They 'could' do all of this manually, but they don't

ahh right ok.

I'll have a look around see if I can find a solution. Think I've got one but it's definitly not standard practice and wouldn't get through the App Store but if you're side loading it won't be an issue.

Edit: no it doesn't seem to work. I'll keep an eye out for you.

Problem is using the private APIs which in this case is a security issue. I suspect it's not going to be possible on a standard iOS build sorry.

Edit2: right yeah it's going to be a private API you can do it with enterprise as you're avoiding Apple Store but unfortunately as far as I can see there's no current documentation out there for the required API (last in iOS 7 and broken). Unfortunately there's a good chance each iOS update will break the private API functionality which would require working out the API again. So far best option is to require manual input :(.

Last edited:
ah that's a shame

back to the drawing board

How about android tablets? would they offer a solution?

Basically they trailed a batch of windows laptops and it was a disaster, so they are looking for a tablet offering now.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom