iOS update bricked my phone - error code 3

Associate
Yay.

Heading off on vacation tomorrow so I thought I'd back up my phone and get everything up to date. The update failed and froze just after the half way point, throwing an error code 3 in iTunes. Tried restore, tried sticking it in the freezer (trusty old google threw up that gem)... The internet suggests it might be a hardware issue with the phone, but it's a 2 month old brand new iPhone 8 through work that's lived in a case, without a single knock. It was working fine before I ran the update, so I'm really struggling to believe it's actually a hardware problem.

I've updated iTunes and deleted any iOS downloads it had and forced it to re-download... no luck. Not really keen to upgrade to High Sierra, heard bad things, and certainly not right before vacation, given the iPhone situation following an update.

Has anyone had this before and know any tricks to fix it? I have to be at the airport at midday tomorrow and my local Apple vendor (Humac, I live in Denmark) only opens at 10am, so this is a desperate attempt to discover some ocuk magic since I wont really have time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Apologies for the lack of reply, I headed off on the aforementioned vacation.

I tried everything, it eventually started giving error code 1 instead/as well at which point I caved and gave in. Thankfully since it is a work phone I can return it and they can have it fixed, but I ended up having to buy my own phone for the duration of my vacation. The GBP to DKK exchange isn't so great at the moment, so "luckily" I managed to get one quite a bit cheaper on my stop at Heathrow than I would in Denmark.

I've never had a hardware issue with an iPhone, so it was a little strange to have one on a relatively new one. My MBP trackpad/keyboard has started playing up while on vacation now as well :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom