Ipad 2 slooooooww

Associate
Regarding the “Apple deliberately slows down older devices in newer iOS releases”

https://www.futuremark.com/pressreleases/is-it-true-that-iphones-get-slower-over-time

Afaia, futuremark have no affiliation with Apple!
Stolen from someone that can explain it better than I can:

this has nothing to do with benchmarks. benchmarks test synthetic responses of hardware. hardware doesn't change over time. all this proves is that there is no change of operational frequency. the actual "slowing down" happens on the software side which no benchmarks will ever show.

Soldato
Stolen from someone that can explain it better than I can:

this has nothing to do with benchmarks. benchmarks test synthetic responses of hardware. hardware doesn't change over time. all this proves is that there is no change of operational frequency. the actual "slowing down" happens on the software side which no benchmarks will ever show.

I’m confused. Software updates tend to always work slower on older hardware. This is nothing new. What Apple have specifically been accused of doing is deliberately slowing down older hardware to force people to upgrade (I.e., not the usual slow down you get from more advanced software being installed). This proves that that does not happen and puts that meme to rest.

Associate
The problem is insisting all devices must run the latest software even if you don't want the new features and are happy with the iOS version you have.

On a PC never have I had an issue with windows feeling slower after an SP or update

Associate
The problem is insisting all devices must run the latest software even if you don't want the new features and are happy with the iOS version you have.

On a PC never have I had an issue with windows feeling slower after an SP or update

keep in mind that SP or update is still within the same OS and maintains very similar hardware requirements. As far as ios is concerned each new iteration is an entirely new OS. ios 10 to ios 11 is more Win 8.1 to Win 10 vs Win XP SP1 to Win XP SP2. I dont know if that made sense. It did to me.

And ya iPad 2 is so slow now its not worth it. Just sold ours. Ok for video once you get the video going but OS and web browsing is painful.

On a side note my Iphone 6 which came with ios 8 is a little pokey now with ios 11. Not happy.

Soldato
We've suffered from this on our iPad Minis. They're almost totally useless unless you're willing to be very patient. Things like opening safari, notes or my AV amplifier app take a good long while. I'm sure they would have run Netflix just fine when they were released too...

I'm going to change over to a Kindle Fire for video purposes as I just can't stomach the cost of buying a new iPad. It's a real shame as I've really enjoyed the integration of my MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone.

Associate
We've suffered from this on our iPad Minis. They're almost totally useless unless you're willing to be very patient. Things like opening safari, notes or my AV amplifier app take a good long while. I'm sure they would have run Netflix just fine when they were released too...

I'm going to change over to a Kindle Fire for video purposes as I just can't stomach the cost of buying a new iPad. It's a real shame as I've really enjoyed the integration of my MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone.

Buy a 2017 iPad and don't update it. Problem solved.

Soldato
The problem isn't the OS updates, it's the APPs and what you are doing with those apps. Try browsing the web now on a 7 year old entry level PC with hardly any ram, it will also be SLOOOOOOW....

Back
Top Bottom