iPad Air 3 or wait for 4?

Soldato
Hi all,

Been considering a new iPad and not sure what to buy, I've pretty much discounted the base model as it doesn't have a laminated screen and the difference to me compared to the wife's Air 2 is night and day so can't go back.

I would like a 120hz screen and quad speakers but the jump to a Pro price wise is just too much.

I do think the Air 3 is a bit overpriced compared to the standard iPad considering what you get.

There seem to be a lot of rumours that a new Air is imminent, if true and it comes out in September that would be about 18 months since the release of the Air 3, does that sound likely? Further reports suggest it will be October due to the supply chain delays due to the pandemic.

Not seen any deals on the Air either, don't mind not having the very latest if I got it for a steal. Instead thought I might get an Apple refurb as can be had for £409, do you think it's worth it or better to wait at this point?

Soldato
Depends on your intended usage.
Standard iPad is using A10 vs A12 in the Air which makes quite a difference if your planning to utilise Apple Arcade at any point.
Oceanhorn 2 on the standard iPad runs at very low resolutions with terrible tearing and blur and frame rate is about 20-25 most the time.

I realise gaming isn’t everyone’s reason for an iPad but it’s worth considering if it’s for children

Soldato
OP
Apple Arcade appeals to me, but I already have a Switch, PS4 and Xbox all of which don't get used enough as it is, I don't think I need any more games in my backlog to feel guilty about :).

As I said the basic iPad isn't an option due to the screen not being laminated, I almost pulled the trigger on a refurb Air 3 but have since seen a number of reports about the 'white spot' issue which seems to have affected a lot of 10.5 inch screens (both the old Pro and the latest Air) which has given me pause for thought.

Think I'll wait a bit, paying almost £500 for a tablet with what seems to be a known issue but isn't publicly admitted to by Apple doesn't seem the wisest choice. I haven't heard of it with the latest Pro so part of me is tempted to splurge the cash and go for the 11" Pro.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I get everything is overblown online but the number of people experiencing it isn't insignificant it seems. Or maybe it is compared to the number of 10.5" iPads sold.

Some people say it relates to pressing too hard on that part of the screen. Others have stated there is a component behind that part of the screen, due to heat and not being shielded properly it's causing the white spot. The latter sounds plausible but haven't seen any reliable sources for this.

Soldato
Yeah I get everything is overblown online but the number of people experiencing it isn't insignificant it seems. Or maybe it is compared to the number of 10.5" iPads sold.

Some people say it relates to pressing too hard on that part of the screen. Others have stated there is a component behind that part of the screen, due to heat and not being shielded properly it's causing the white spot. The latter sounds plausible but haven't seen any reliable sources for this.

can only go from personal experience. Had 10.5” pro until the 2018 launched and didn’t have the issue, in work saw it about 4 times total

Soldato
Apple typically release iPads in Feb/March and end of Sept/Oct/Nov. So sometime in the next 4-6 months. That said there isn’t really a ‘scheduled’ release date for iPads like iPhones, sometimes they go quite sometime before being refreshed.

Doubt you’ll see anything before the next iPhone launch, the parts for that are already leaking for that but there is nothing concrete for the iPad yet. If you need it now then buy it, it’s a pretty long wait for something that needs to be replaced now. If it’s something you want to buy rather than need then no harm in holding out.

Soldato
OP
in work saw it about 4 times total

Out of how many units and was it very noticeable? I'm guessing it's one of those things that once you notice it you can't 'unsee' it.

If it’s something you want to buy rather than need then no harm in holding out.

Thanks for the info, definitely want rather than need although there is a training app I use which is only on iOS so am using that as a way to justify this as a work purchase :)

Soldato
Out of how many units and was it very noticeable? I'm guessing it's one of those things that once you notice it you can't 'unsee' it.

Thanks for the info, definitely want rather than need although there is a training app I use which is only on iOS so am using that as a way to justify this as a work purchase :)

That’s the thing, honestly we don’t see iPads very frequently as they’re super reliable, long battery etc

Pretty much every iPad I see it’s a case of “well, it’s 4 years old.. “

As for how annoying - once seen it can’t be unseen , but there were a few cases where the user wasn’t even aware

Back
Top Bottom