iPad data plans.

Man of Honour
You would need to unlock the mifi.

This easy to do? Trust me if discussion isn't allowed on here please.

What's tmobile like on 3G coverage, I know it's subjective due to location. I find Three has beaten all other networks I've tried hands down.

3 and T Mobile now network share with Orange, and while not there 100% yet, you should see the same reception on all networks in most of the country.

Vodafone and O2 are network sharing, but they are way behind compared to the others.

I have a Vodafone iPhone and a 3 Mifi, and the 3 reception trounces the Vodafone one where I live.

Man of Honour
Ignore, just did a google and have unlocked my mifi, got my Vodafone SIM in there now and although it is having issues connecting, I think it's fully unlocked.

Soldato
3 and T Mobile now network share with Orange, and while not there 100% yet, you should see the same reception on all networks in most of the country.

T-Mobile and Orange are sharing signals
T-Mobile and 3 are sharing masts

BUT T-Mobile AND Orange are not sharing anything with 3.

Man of Honour
I could be wrong, but I was told that by someone who works in the industry. His words to me were:

Three now network share with T-Mobile and Orange (Everything Everywhere following their merger). If you have a T-Mob, Orange or 3 phone all will have the same coverage. I work in the industry, and although the network sharing is not totally complete its pretty much there. Vodafone and O2 also now network share, but their sharing project is miles behind currently.

And Wiki states:

Joint venture with Hutchison 3G UK

On 3 September 2010 Everything Everywhere announced that Orange would join Mobile Broadband Network Ltd (MBNL), the 3G network sharing joint venture formed in December 2007 between T-Mobile UK and Hutchison 3G UK (H3G UK). MBNL will become a 50/50 joint venture between Three UK and Everything Everywhere, with Orange contributing several thousand of its base stations for network sharing purposes.[12] MBNL was created after T-Mobile and Three UK agreed to pool their respective 3G infrastructures in a 50/50 joint venture. At present MBNL’s HSPA-based infrastructure covers more than 90% of the British population, and by the end of 2010 this figure is expected to rise to more than 98%, with the JV having already consolidated more than 7,000 of the 12,500 cell sites that the initial two partners had said will be merged by October 2010.[12]

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_Everywhere

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'll stick with three then. Ok it's £4 more expensive and less data. But then I didn't use all the data allowance on three anyway. Only used 2 out of the 3GB, so taking that into account reception is much more important than pure data.

Soldato
Hate to thread bump but it saves creating another one...

Are these two deals still the best? Just got a 3G iPad and need to sort out a sim card and data plan for it. Just light usage.

Soldato
You can get the Three 3GB SIMs for £8-9 at auction. They're valid for 3 months (assuming you don't use more than 1GB a month, which I'd say is enough for light usage).

That's less than £3 a month. I think you'd struggle to beat that for value!

Permabanned
I ended up buying my iPad2 on a contract - I think it cost me £99 + £25/m for a 16GB 3G with 15GB of data with Three.

I'm not normally a fan of contracts, but at the time, an iPad2 16GB 3G was £500, so I'm essentially paying £8/m for 15GB of data.

Permabanned
I ended up buying my iPad2 on a contract - I think it cost me £99 + £25/m for a 16GB 3G with 15GB of data with Three.

I'm not normally a fan of contracts, but at the time, an iPad2 16GB 3G was £500, so I'm essentially paying £8/m for 15GB of data.

yeah but bet your contract is 24months, so you got screwed, its cheaper to buy the ipad2 outright and take out a separate contract for data, plus yours is now locked to three, where as if you bought it from apple you can just change providers at will

Soldato
What's the state of play these days ? I was on a 3 £15 a month unlimited data plan, but now 3 block that saying it can only be used in a mobile phone, I cancelled that contract and went out and bought another plan, because someone told me I needed to send a text every 3 months....but I put the new sim in and it was instantly blocked again.....seems they changed there system ......

So where can I get unlimited data for less than £20 a month? Also if not what the hell are companies playing at ? Thieving gits....

Back
Top Bottom