iPad Pro 12.9

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I have a iPad Air 2 at the moment and I have been thinking in the past couple of days to get a iPad Pro 12.9 and cant decide if it worth it or just get the smaller version.

Reason being is I have a MBP 15" Ok the iPad wont replace the MBP but I having a bigger screen must be nice but then again not as portable as the smaller version.. Saying that the smaller version is slightly bigger screen than my Air.

Has anyone here made a move to a 12.9 from a Air or got one to replace their MBP?

Soldato
I’ve got he 12.9 pro first version and I don’t use it a lot but when I do I love he bigger screen, I upgraded from an iPad 4 retina I think. It was certainly worth while, heard good things about the newer version too.

Associate
I recently got the 10.5 pro. I've previously had a mini and an air 2, and never really used them for much, hence getting rid.
One thing I would have used them for more was guitar practise, however the apps always seemed a little hit and miss.

Since getting the pro, and seeing how fast it was, i'm now starting to use it as a real music practice and production tool (cubasis <-> cubase, bias amp/fx etc).
Love it - it's becoming indispensable to be now. Like most ipads i've tried it's nice, the design is sleek etc, but this pro seems like it has the "grunt" to match, so to speak :) And I've not even tried the pencil or smart keyboard yet (pencil, pfft, i can't draw for toffee, but may but the keyboard)

Soldato
I have a 12.9" - the screen is about the size of an A4 sheet IIRC which makes it perfect for writing notes or drawing with the Pencil. I wouldn't want the 10.5" for either of those things, but it'd be just as good for anything else. If you do a lot of typing the Apple keyboard cover is awesome and obviously on the 12.9" iPad the keyboard is a bit bigger which makes it feel more like a normal keyboard.

If you want to get rid of your MBP and just use an iPad Pro it really depends on what stuff you use the Mac for, because you can probably get by without it for some things but less so for others.

Associate
I've had all 3. 12.9" is lovely, but just massive and is hardly portable. 9.7" - spot on, but I ended up giving it the wife when the 10.5" came out. 10.5" - its a beast, the keyboard is great and its really not much bigger than the 9.7". :)

Man of Honour
My son has the 12.9 and my daughter has the 9.7

The larger screen is fantastic if you only use it at home and rested on your lap. But it's. It portable and gets heavy. If you ever want to take it out of the house then get the smaller one.

Soldato
I very recently upgraded to the 12.9” Pro from an Air 2. It’s like moving from an iPhone to an iPhone Plus - you initially worry that it’s going to be too big but after using it for a day or two, you find it difficult to use the smaller version! I really like my 12.9 Pro. The extra screen estate makes it a joy to read anything on, from websites to digital magazines and papers. I’ve also played about with drawing apps and attached a Bluetooth keyboard. Absolutely fantastic fun! The extra screen space also allows you to fully take advantage of multitasking and running two apps on the same screen.

Soldato
^

That's something I forgot to mention, if you want to take full advantage of the multi-tasking features the 12.9" is much more useable than the 10.9" for the split screen stuff since you're getting more or less two 9.7" iPads side-by-side if you go 50/50. I also think it's completely portable if you put it in the same bracket as a MBP - I take mine to work in my backpack all the time, use it on the train/DLR and it sizes on aeroplane tables just fine - it's obviously not as small-bag friendly as the smaller iPads but it's hardly a tank, even with the smart keyboard.

Soldato
Iv got a 12.9 pro gen 1 and use it all the time for content consumption....the speakers are great as well.

I also hook it up to my Macbook and use it as a 2nd screen which is super handy when on the go and want multi monitor productivity.

Associate
I have 12.9, it's good for reading books on. But really would have been much better purchasing a second macbook air/pro as ios can be so annoying at times. For example 160 quid for keyboard you cannot use to stop/start videos, turn pages on book, unless it is in ePub format. So no, buy a proper computer instead.

Associate
A little late to this but I've recently bought the 2nd gen 12.9. Owned a couple of 9.7 iPads for 6 years but wanted more storage for when traveling. Absolutely love it and got a great deal on a sealed one on eBay.

Browsing the internet is so much better on the bigger device, same for watching YouTube and it's great for doing quick edits of pics (with or without the pencil), having 512gb means I can have my iTunes library on it and sounds amazing.

It might be heavier than the smaller iPads but not so much it's a problem. Still easy to quickly pick up and put down. Battery life far exceeds the stated 10 hours. Browsing and YouTube gets me around 13 hours with more than 10% left.

I wouldn't have smaller now. Perfect for films while traveling and importing all my memory cards until I get home. Worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom