iPhone 3G --> HTC HD2?

Soldato
Hey all,

Sorry I know there are threads covering both phones, but I just want to ask people who have had (or currently have) an iPhone 3G and have changed or are looking to change to the new HD2. I currently have a 3G and my contract runs out on the 31st, so was thinking about getting the HD2. From the looks of it, it does everything the iPhone does but better, but I do love my iPhone and I think it would be hard to beat.

So basically, to those that have used both extensively, which is the better phone? I love the iPhone for being a smart phone and gloryfied iPod, so I don't think an HD2 would match that. On the flip side, MS/HTC are no where near as strict as Apple so file support is greater than the iPhone.

There are so many ways to look at it, which is why I've created this thead.

Looking forward to hearing what you think about the differences, and if it's worth changing from 3G to HD2.

Cheers!!

Soldato
OP
<insert biased people trying to say iphone is better>

<insert biased people trying to say the HTC is better>

Wow, thanks for the most constructive reply I've ever read...

If people come on here saying one is better, it does not strictly mean they're biased, unless of course they're true fanboys.

Besides I WANT people to come on here saying which is better and why, so I can make my own decision.

Caporegime
Wow, thanks for the most constructive reply I've ever read...

If people come on here saying one is better, it does not strictly mean they're biased, unless of course they're true fanboys.

Besides I WANT people to come on here saying which is better and why, so I can make my own decision.

Or you could just read through some of the other threads re these two phones.

Caporegime
Yeh but both have many pages to go through. I've read a lot of the HD2, I just want hear of people opinions that used both.

Then go through those many pages if you're serious about deciding between the two.

You could try seeing what "which" website says, they're often good with reviews.

Caporegime
Ive played with the HD2 and the first thing that stuck out for me is the massive size of the device due to the screen...my dad has one and its a lovely piece of kit but for me i found it a bit too big...also the fact it runs on Winmo is another killer for me...clunky OS in all honesty although on the HD2 it isnt so bad.

Honestly id probably go with the iphone...the touchscreen on the HD2 is good but still the iphone i think beats it...web browsing isnt too bad either but again the iphone beats it hands down. Also even though the HD2 is more open source for apps ie not closed like Apple...its still not as good as the iphone but is pretty close.

Thats my opinion...if the HD2 was of a smaller size then id probably recommend it but as it is the iphone is the one id go for if given the choice between the 2...and thats due to Winmo being on the HD2.

Soldato
OP
Then go through those many pages if you're serious about deciding between the two.

You could try seeing what "which" website says, they're often good with reviews.

thanks bud, hadn't heard of that site, will check it out :)

I've read several reviews online, and I really like the look of it. I'm jsut really indecisive when it comes to buying (expensive) gadgets :D

Soldato
Get an iPhone if:

• You want something that you don't want to change or mess with
  • You want to play Flash-style games
  • You can justify the extra cost

Get an HTC HD2 if:

• You enjoy and want to customise your phone, whether it's just changing backgrounds/icons, registry hacking or installing custom mods etc
  • You want a decentish camera with a flash

I've got an HD2. Bigger screen, faster hardware, customisable software, cheaper, looks better (imo), less of a bandwagon.

Hope that helps and is fairly unbiased :).

Soldato
I had an Iphone 3G (not S), I now have the HD2

I prefer the HD2 for some things, Winmo gives more flexibility and options
the Apple store is massively better than the current alternative, however you can load stuff onto the Winmo phones outside the store.

my current feelings are that the iphone works better out of the box with easier use.
the HD2 is better (for me) if you take the time to set it up how you want and has more software options

also screen is much higher res which is useful for me.

/attempt to be impartial

Associate
They have just got the HD2 in the Jarir bookstore in Saudi, going this week to replace my 3G iPhone

I love the iPhone but after 3 years i really need to see if there is another phone out there that can compare...

+ the bigger screen and higher rez and processor is ticking a few boxes right now

EDIT: Just been in town, nil stock :(

Giving me doubts now, maybe i have had the iPhone too long and the logical choice is the next step up to a 3GS

Last edited:
Associate
I bought the Iphone 2g on the release day and also got the upgrade from o2 after about 7 months to the iPhone 3G.

So for having an iPhone for about 20 months I fancied a change, So I upgrade to a HTC HD2

HD2 > iPhone
-Screen Res
-WinMo support communtiy for custom cab files
-Actual speed and responsivness of the device. i.i. web browsing
-Full Bluetooth Support
-Thinner
-Drag and drop MP3 - I hate iTunes
-Play AVI files without having to re-encode
-Camera is better & has a flash
-Plus everyones got an iPhone now

iPhone > HD2
- I miss App store
- Touchscreen is a lot better on the iPhone, I hate typing on my HD2. This for me is a killer.

I really cant stress enough to go into a store and try typing on one, totally different from what you will be used to !!

Last edited:

PoD

PoD

Associate
I have an iphone and although I dont want to change if I was buying a new phone from the lower end of the market I would go for the HD2

I really like the screen and some of the features, but as previously stated it doesn't have anywhere near as good support in regards to new features

Get the HD2 if you want a phone that isn't exactly the iphone
Get an iphone if you want apps and more media

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input all.

I already have a jailbroken iPhone, which I love - I'm just starting to get ticked off with apple and their attempts to control everything.

How easy are they to customise? Like for example the keyboard - can that be edited (obviously not normally, through a hack of sorts) so the buttons are in different places etc?

I really need to just go play with one really :)

Associate
" if I was buying a new phone from the lower end of the market I would go for the HD2

PoD in what way is the HD2 in the lower end of the market, Having owned both 2g & 3g and also now a HD2, the HD2 is NOT in a lower end.

As I stated in a previous post there are pros & cons with both devices.

How easy are they to customise? Like for example the keyboard

Amraam, its very easy, you just download a CAB file and install it. Theres lots to choose from, Swype is good and also SlideIT (when it gets updated)

Caporegime
PoD in what way is the HD2 in the lower end of the market, Having owned both 2g & 3g and also now a HD2, the HD2 is NOT in a lower end.

As I stated in a previous post there are pros & cons with both devices.

Perhaps he doesn't realise that sim free HD2's actually cost more than iPhones.:p

Amraam, its very easy, you just download a CAB file and install it. Theres lots to choose from, Swype is good and also SlideIT (when it gets updated)

Pretty much. Cabs are just the mobile equivilent of .exe's. He'll then maybe have to go into the settings area and click the new keyboard he has just installed (there are quite a few options already installed on WM phones).

Soldato
OP
get the HD2, if you don't like it sell it.

I got a hero in december, and have went back to my 3GS lol If you have had an iPhone for years, it'll be hard to leave imo lol

That's what I'm thinking haha, but I want a new toy. Can't believe I've had my iPhone for 18 months already!!

Back
Top Bottom