Iphone 6+ Amp/Dac

Soldato
Hi guys i was looking for a bit of advice in the audio area,

Looking for a easily portable amp/dac or whatever else may be recommended for an I phone 6 plus ( i will be getting an iphone x on pre order so that will also be factored into this )

I don't know much about phone audio equipment and am struggling to find much information regarding this.

Any advice appreciated.

Associate
Thank you for the heads up, does it happen to be thr usual weak point? Where the cable meets the connector? If so I will build it some reinforcing joints.

It seems to be inside somewhere as they sometimes work depending on how you have it positioned even though the cable is in perfect condition. I have had Apple replace mine, but from my experience these things aren't designed to be portable. They should be laid flat and left like that which sort of defeats the object of having a DAC on your phone. The Dragonfly though is an excellent bit of kit - its truly remarkable with what you can get out of your phone with one of these. I love mine and shudder at the thought of having to go down Apple's preferred route of using those ghastly AirPods.

Soldato
OP
Yeah unfortunately my personal experiences with windows/android mobile operating systems haven't been the best on a variety of handsets so will stick with Apple for my next upgrade. I may look at getting back into the android ecosystem after that but for now il stick here.

Soldato
Yeah unfortunately my personal experiences with windows/android mobile operating systems haven't been the best on a variety of handsets so will stick with Apple for my next upgrade. I may look at getting back into the android ecosystem after that but for now il stick here.

When Did you last try it ? LG on latest Android is great, no difference in commonly used apps.

The built in DAC is amazing though and memory card storage for flac files.

Soldato
The Apple Lightning to 3.5mm DAC isn't all that bad, i've certainly heard worse. However, it is noticeable and because that pair of HD25-1 II are getting quite worn now, i'm just going to leap to the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless.

Soldato
The S7 was the last android device I spent more than a week with. (I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who works for a mobile distributor) so he gets hands on a lot of free phones / perks and happily throws them my way for a test.

Try and get an LG v30 & some awesome headphones and see what you think - carrying a separate large dac must be a PITA

Soldato
OP
Try and get an LG v30 & some awesome headphones and see what you think - carrying a separate large dac must be a PITA

The Dragonfly is actually really small, might look big in pictures? but it's smaller than all of the usb storage " pen drives " that i have. I don't notice it in my pocket at all. For reference im using a pair of Sennheiser IE800s with it so they are pretty damn awesome :D. They were the reason i bought a separate DAC to really provide the best quality possible whilst on the go. I will however try to get an LGv30 and try it out.

Soldato
The Dragonfly is actually really small, might look big in pictures? but it's smaller than all of the usb storage " pen drives " that i have. I don't notice it in my pocket at all. For reference im using a pair of Sennheiser IE800s with it so they are pretty damn awesome :D. They were the reason i bought a separate DAC to really provide the best quality possible whilst on the go. I will however try to get an LGv30 and try it out.

Yeah check it out - and google some reviews, the audio quality exceeds most external dacs in the reviews with a huge range using the right headphones, I'm on the V20 and its audio is amazing also.

Soldato
OP
Yeah check it out - and google some reviews, the audio quality exceeds most external dacs in the reviews with a huge range using the right headphones, I'm on the V20 and its audio is amazing also.

Im having a look at a few now :p specifically some comparing it to the Dragonfly red that i have. Seems that the AMP isn't quite as powerful on the phone but that the DAC is about on par. ( im not trying to shame the phone with that statement ) i think it's amazing that they have got such a great audio solution internally. Im going to drop my pal a message now and see if i can pry one out of him soon.

However, given i now already have the DAC i think it would also be a shame to not use it.

Associate
The Dragonfly can also be used wherever you like, so you are not just limited to the phone. I use mine in my work machine if I want to listen to music. I'm dead impressed with it - its just a pity the Apple cable is turd.

Back
Top Bottom