iPhone 6S - showing wifi/4G but not receiving data

Soldato
Anyone else this issue?

My mum's 6S has developed this problem where it's showing it's connected to wifi/4G but Safari doesn't load, apps don't update when refreshed (e.g. the weather is still from 9 hours ago), iMessages don't get delivered etc and generally makes the phone useless. It's not limited to just her home wifi or coverage since it does the same thing when she's out.

Resetting the Network Settings fixes the issue temporarily, but it eventually rears it's head again. I've tried re-seating the SIM, hard reboot and will try doing a factory reset later but it's bugging me because I've had just about every iPhone since the 3GS and never had any problems. Given it's finding the wifi/cellular I'm assuming it's the phone not the card. I bought it for her it last year (2nd hand but in mint condition) and don't really want to buy another one until I've tried everything!

Ta.

Commissario
I've not heard of this one before but would suggest that you really do have to do a reset and set up again from scratch to prove the hardware. Don't restore from a backup.

Soldato
OP
Cellular issue seems to have been fixed by doing a restore, no idea what that was. However the wifi problem still persists even when setting the device up from scratch (shows as being connected but no data being sent/received). Turning wifi off for a few seconds then back on again fixes the issue, and if you use the phone it doesn't seem to drop, but if left unused for a while it goes again. When it's having this issue the phone doesn't appear on the connected devices list on the router software (a Virgin Media Super Hub v3.11), so there's something amiss somewhere. Obviously when you want to use the phone it's not a big deal to just flick the wifi on and off but it needs to be sorted as things like iMessages and WhatsApps don't come through unless the phone is constantly being checked.

There's another iPhone and 2 iPads in the house, none of which have this same problem. All on the latest software.

Soldato
I suspect a recent firmware update to the super hub has caused issues - were seeing a massive increase in virgin users with the exact issue you describe. Does it work properly on other WiFi networks?

Soldato
OP
I suspect a recent firmware update to the super hub has caused issues - were seeing a massive increase in virgin users with the exact issue you describe. Does it work properly on other WiFi networks?

Yes. I got my dad to complain to Virgin and they had someone round who replaced the Superhub with their new(ish) Hub 3. So far, so good.

Back
Top Bottom