iPhone DCIM Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
OP
You're doing it wrong ;). You're copying into your local iCloud folder there, which exists on C: (probably) so you've no space. It's a folder like you said but it exists on the cloud and locally (if you've chosen to do so). Probably want to move your iCloud directory to the root of your photos?

The problem is, your old folder system has actually put you in a hard position to move to iCloud, upload wise. You might find it easier to upload via the browser, though I'd do it slowly!

Cheers, so does it always need to sync with data on my C: drive? Is there no way I can just cut all my data onto the iCloud folder? This is how I imagined this isn't working how I anticipated. There doesn't seem to be much customisation like OneDrive, I'll see if I change the directory!

Soldato
Cheers, so does it always need to sync with data on my C: drive? Is there no way I can just cut all my data onto the iCloud folder? This is how I imagined this isn't working how I anticipated. There doesn't seem to be much customisation like OneDrive, I'll see if I change the directory!

It just syncs whats in the icloud driver folder - you can move the folder using symbolic links.

The way you backup your data is bizarre in this day and age - sure I get you like 'control' but you already have control over your icloud folder? If I was you so you don't mess up all the cool features - just leave icloud as it is.............then COPY from icloud TO your own created directory structure - then you can have your images however old school you want - then you also have your photos backed up as expected in icloud - which means it will work properly in icloud how apples system 'reads' the data - so you take a photo on your phone it will appear in photos online via icloud log in, or your ipad etc - if you CUT data from the cloud to your other old school way of storage images they are removed from icloud forever so you dont get safe cloud backups in the photos system which works good as it is anyway.

If your copying from iphoto folder to icloud data folder and moving it all around to 'your' way the photos in icloud wont sync to your phone in the photos app as expected and it would only be readable via 'files' which negates the entire point and makes browsing photos via folders a pain.

Don
OP
The way you backup your data is bizarre in this day and age

Eh? I backup my data to a NAS using a scheduled task each week.

You have a problem how I organise pictures but if someone asked me if they could see pictures of my eldest's 2nd birthday, I can find it in seconds. Which is what viewing pictures all about - organisation.

I don't mind using a cloud platform to do the same, mainly for the reliability but if doesn't allow the same functionality and/or it's clunkier than I will happily go back to my original way that has worked for the past 15 years. You forget my original post was just about an iPhone annoyance that I have lived with ever since they came out.

Man of Honour
Or even better, Apple Photos, no need to feed the Google machine. 79p per month for 50GB. That way your photos will automatically sync with your iPad and Mac.

Feed the Apple machine instead then.. I like the way you think. I don't think ops backup method is bizarre at all managing your own backups without paying somebody for storage. The mind boggles ;)

Don
OP
In the Photos app, I simply create an 'album' which is effectively an event and add pictures to it. Dead easy.

Suspect this is easier with a Mac in that I could potentially move pictures that are stored on the local drive into the albums created on the iPhone?

If you could have folders in Photos this would be very easy for me to replicate my structure.

I think I need to see people's Photos to see how they sort things out for holidays, family pics, weddings, birthdays, weekends away etc etc - and most crucially years worth of these!

Last edited:
Soldato
Andy honestly if you are using a PC and an Iphone I would just use Google photos its free assuming you don't want full on high quality professional standard pics. That tells you where and when any photo is taken pretty much instantly. You can use the slider on the right of your screen for the date and assuming you have geotags you can just search for a place.

I travel a lot for work and pleasure I've used both Icloud and Google both work well. Only reason why I use Icloud because we have Mac's and my mam uses my storage for her Ipad.

I've screen dumped an example below - to the right there is a dateline and above there is a search bar.

2eoxnar.png

Don
OP
Andy honestly if you are using a PC and an Iphone I would just use Google photos its free assuming you don't want full on high quality professional standard pics. That tells you where and when any photo is taken pretty much instantly. You can use the slider on the right of your screen for the date and assuming you have geotags you can just search for a place.

I travel a lot for work and pleasure I've used both Icloud and Google both work well. Only reason why I use Icloud because we have Mac's and my mam uses my storage for her Ipad.

I don't mind change, certainly 95% of my pics are taken with an iPhone now and that's not going to change so I like the longevity of it all. The wife has always seen me looking through historic albums on the phone and is intrigued.

There is one major issue I've found, when uploading an album that was already on my Laptop iCloud takes the modified date as the picture taken? So I had an album from 21st April of a weekend away with the family, some pics were modified on 22nd and 24th and iCloud sorts them as that as the date taken.

Soldato
I can't comment on that one I'm afraid - Google which I use as a secondary backup just sits there and hoovers up any picture taken from my phone does it stuff silently. Cynics would say thats what Google wants :p

I've used pretty much all cloud services each have their pro and cons for example one drive offers office365 as part of a package but it didn't like some of my file extensions. Google upload speed could be better - Dropbox has a dubious security history. Icloud outside of the Apple Eco world can be flakey.

You'll find one that ticks the box for you I'm sure. At a couple of quid its not too much of an expensive just time consuming. If you want to swap between cloud providers there is software which automates it for you as well.

Soldato
Eh? I backup my data to a NAS using a scheduled task each week.

You have a problem how I organise pictures but if someone asked me if they could see pictures of my eldest's 2nd birthday, I can find it in seconds. Which is what viewing pictures all about - organisation.

I don't mind using a cloud platform to do the same, mainly for the reliability but if doesn't allow the same functionality and/or it's clunkier than I will happily go back to my original way that has worked for the past 15 years. You forget my original post was just about an iPhone annoyance that I have lived with ever since they came out.

Yes I do the same as you, for my professional images taken on my Mirrorless/DSLR.

HOWEVER for mobile phone photos, that's pointless.

Yeah I can find ANY image on my iphone, PC, ipad, mac in seconds also - because in the photos app,oddly enough, its all arranged by date also - the point is, it already does this automatically for you so there is no point in doing it again yourself.

Give me any date & exactly the same you can just jump to it by year, month etc, a hell of a lot faster than navigating traditional directories - also I can do this on my phone, pc or ipad etc anywhere, any time - it just works very well, much better than trying to navigate folders on a phone as well - thats a ball ache on a mobile device.

That's whats making me pull my (little remaining) hair out here - your saying iphotos (+icloud for non photo files), is clunkier than using directory structures, thats why im in shock and debating this with you, because its much slicker & heckin easier, and it syncs and works across all devices as well - your only slower if your not used to it - and yeah sure you can export the photos from a certain date to a folder if you like, but why, its already sorted and there for you, anywhere, anytime.

I know how to store images, my previous life I was in I.T. working on databases - Iv been a full time photographer now for 5-6 years - I got the whole data back up and image store/use sorted out otherwise id be wasting my time ;)

Don
OP
It's not pointless for mobile phone pictures, just because its your career, most mobile phones capabilities are fantastic nowadays and I certainly keep and appreciate the pictures I have taken.

Let's agree to disagree, I will never organise a folder of images by just dates.

I'm going with OneDrive so I can have my folders :)

I hope you can sleep tonight thinking about that :D

Commissario
I'm going with OneDrive so I can have my folders :)
Andy, I know you don't use a Mac (get a Mac) but this is how the Photos app works for me.

All my photos go into the iCloud Drive photo album thing, I grab the ones I want, right click, select Add to, then New Album and give it a title. That's it, job done.

When I first got my Mac, I used to try and work the same way I did in Windows but it was really restrictive and I found it just took too much time. Once I accepted that things were different, it became a piece of cake. I'm talking really nice cake, not some dry old stuff that was made months ago and left in the back of the larder but good, fresh, moist cake that makes you just want to eat that one extra slice.

It works really well. You can very quickly search by album name, location, date and the built in categories means I can search for objects as well. If I type 'car' into the search, it shows me all the pictures of cars. Get a Mac and embrace the Photos app and the way it syncs with iCloud and the Photos app on your phone ;) :D :D :p

ZxrFwLo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom