IPS Monitors?

Associate
Hi Guys,

I have a question are OCUK getting any more of the following monitors in stock?

Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS
PG279Q ROG Swift 27" 2560x1440 IPS

Also does anyone have any experience of these monitors?

What are they like and what is their current QC standards?

Associate
Absolutely love my PG279Q! Even more so when i look at the price of what they are now, bought it back when they were <£750
As for the Acer equivalent, i dont own one but i have seen one and used one for a bit. Overall, they're basically the same inside(panels). Quality on the Acer is a bit mehh IMO and the design, i personally dont like it. I like the simplistic look of the ASUS.

In terms of QC, i dont know about now but back when they were <1yr it was close to lottery on quality but they had apparently improved at the time i purchased mine.

About stock, nobody from the public on this forum knows tbh. Best contacting the staff here:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=116
or here:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=117

Associate
I had the Asus one for 3 days and sent it back as it had really bad ips glow in each corner and they sent me another one which was a little better but still at the time it was £700 and tbh my Samsung sa950 in 1080p looked better. I was after the best gaming monitor for fps games you could buy and all I could see when playing battlefield games when I was in a dark area of the map was this ips glow (a little like back light bleed) in each corner and the blacks did not look black. I found this strange as ips panels are for great colour but when it comes to black pfffff. so I sent back and plugged my Samsung back in which just looked much better and waited for my 3rd monitor to come which was a Dell S2716DG 27" 2560x1440 TN G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Midnight Grey for £230 less at the time and all I can say is that this is so much better than the Asus in everyway apart from viewing angles due to it not being an ips panel. I know to look at when its turned off the asus looks better but I was after image quality and smooth gaming which the asus was just the same as the dell in how smooth the games look but back light bleed and ips glow were so bad I could not keep and after looking on these forums and seeing many other posts saying the same I thought I'm not going to try a 3rd one. (very poor quality from asus on these monitors). make sure you buy from a place you can send back and try another with no problems. maybe they have improved them now as this was around march 2016.
If people are going to reply to my reply saying there one is fine and has no problems I would love to see you put some photos in of your screen when it should be black like when you 1st turn it on to show no ips glow as I read on a few forums that all ips monitors have ips glow in the corners its just the nature of the tech.
Also can you send a photo of a dark area in a game when again it should be black instead of some washed out looking black. I remember playing the locker map on BF4 when I had it and the monitor just made that map look so washed out with colours as it is a hard map for monitors to deal with. (some people might reply and say it looks fine on their monitor maybe due to they haven't seen it on other monitors that can really make it look better so cant compare). if it wasn't for the blacks and the ips glow I would have it on my desk right now.

Last edited:
Associate
I Emailed overclockers 3 days ago about the acer xb271hu and they said they are waiting on stock.
I Also emailed Acer uk direct and they said they haven't had any stock on this monitor for about two months and is most likely been discontinued.

I don't think it has been discontinued,I just think the person who emailed me is a numpty as they are on other websites like acer acer eu.

I have had to send my xb271hu Back due to BLB and am looking to try the lottery one more time.

Associate
I predict it will have same yellowish light in the corners as its an ips panel and it is part of the tech and you will be happy when you go back to a top quality TN panel not cheap one as you will find in games the colours will look better due to better blacks and dark areas of games wont look washed out with a yellow light coming into the image. BUT GOOD LUCK ANYWAY

Associate
I am swaying towards a good tn. Been Looking at the dell s2716dg or the acer xb271hua (the tn version that clocks to 165hz. No reviews on the acer one though

Associate
I don't think you would be sending the Dell S2716DG back as I love mine and I am fussy and ive tried the much more expensive monitors and found too many faults with them. I have a GTX980ti with an i7 6700k and 16gb ram and battlefield 1 in ultra high settings gets me around 90 -110 fps in 1440p with this monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got the Acer Predator XB271HU and I'm very happy with it. Minimal IPS glow, no dead pixels, excellent response and refresh, and gsync makes huge difference.

The only thing I would criticize is there's some faint colour banding on very subtle gradients, which I've not seen on any of my previous IPS monitors.

I'm not a fan of TN panels because of the poor viewing angles and inaccurate colour reproduction.

Associate
I've got the Acer Predator XB271HU and I'm very happy with it. Minimal IPS glow, no dead pixels, excellent response and refresh, and gsync makes huge difference.

The only thing I would criticize is there's some faint colour banding on very subtle gradients, which I've not seen on any of my previous IPS monitors.

I'm not a fan of TN panels because of the poor viewing angles and inaccurate colour reproduction.

Any chance you could post a picture of the Back light Bleed as I would like to see if I was being fussy with mine

Associate
I bought an Asus PG279Q back in September. Out of the box it was fine with no issues, but within 24 hours, it had developed bad backlight bleed and I RMAed it via Asus. The replacement I got has wirked fine since. Though perhaps I'm paranoid, but I sometimes feel as if there might be a teensy bit of bleed on this new one.

Otherwise, I love the thing. No more terrible viewing angles, lovely 1440p image quality, lovely high refresh rate. My only complaint with it is that the turn-on time is longer than my old monitor. It takes a fair few seconds for an image to appear after pressing the on button.

Associate
Everything I've read in the last few days on these monitors is that the QC is still bad and that the Acer has a higher percentage of being a little better in regards to Backlight bleed.

I've looked for a good monitor in the last few days and I cannot find one monitor that does not have issues.

Asus/Acer IPS has Bleed + Glow, Dead pixels etc - Expect to return a few to get a "decent one" ..

Dell SDG27 TN has pixel inversion which all the 144hz 1440p G-Sync panels do apparently.

Even the new Samsung curved VA monitors that's coming out has purple distortion not sure if it goes away without using the Freesync on them...

Last edited:
Associate
It's mad. I decided before christmass I wanted a new gaming monitor and after spending about 3 weeks reading all the bad reviews I went for the acer xb271hu as it has slightly better reviews but I still ended up getting a dodgy one. I'm gonna try one more time and if not successfull I'm gonna wait.

I was gonna go tn but I have had ips for 5 years and fear I might notice the lack in colours

Associate
Well I got my new xb271hu after I sent the other one back and its perfect.
no yellow corners just a bit of ips glow but as good as my dell u2715h was so I guess I've been lucky.

(it will probably blow up now I've said that)

Associate
hartty;30491736 said:
Well I got my new xb271hu after I sent the other one back and its perfect.
no yellow corners just a bit of ips glow but as good as my dell u2715h was so I guess I've been lucky.

(it will probably blow up now I've said that)

You don't happen to have a picture of it do you?

Associate
OP
Thanks guys,

So Last week I got sick of waiting and purchased myself the PG348Q ROG Swift 34" 3440x1440. Also coupled this with the Zotac 1080 AMP extreme. Really happy with both. Screen is perfect and runs smooth as silk. Colours are fantastic and almost 0 light bleed.

I was holding out for a 1080 ti but 1 didnt want to wait and 2 didnt want to put in 2k to buy both. And 3 I'm a spoilt brat when I want something I dont like to wait for it.

Associate
el-nino you sound just like me lol it drives my wife crazy :p I am also waiting for the zotac 1080 amp extreme to come through as I bought it on sat night from another site for £428 but I think its probably a scam so not holding my breath.

Back
Top Bottom