IPTV (BT TV) On pfSense - Network Overload

Associate
Hello,

I have managed to configure the pfSense firewall to allow BT TV through as per the thread here...

https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=100444.0

I'm trying to find some answers to a subsequent issue that has arisen.

It would seem that the network is now overloaded when I am watching a IPTV channel on BT TV.

The 'Find Out What's On BT TV' channel is SD and runs at about 2M Bits bandwidth and I can just use the internet and communicate with other machines on my network.

If I change to a HD channel at about 9 - 10 M Bits bandwidth, no joy, timeouts. I have left a simple ping from one internal linux ip to another running and the response times jump from 1.5ms to > 8000ms. So this indicates that something is causing massive latency.

My thoughts are the network (LAN) is getting flooded with multicast messages?

Can anyone help with any suggestions as to how to fix it or do more troubleshooting?

Soldato
Yes exactly you need to keep your LAN from flooding. I actually tried to do this a while back before moving to Sky. Since then I noticed this thread which might be helpful to you - https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=74126.0

"I have a separate LAN Interface to stop the multicast from flooding my LAN. I had to put a block all rule between my multicast LAN and normal LAN. In the firewall rules for your multicast LAN, you need to make sure under "advanced" that "allow packets with options" is ticked."

Associate
OP
Thank you for that post and the hints.

I can't add another NIC to my pfSense box with out changing the case. It's a thin 1U case in a rack with 2 NIC ports on the SuperMicro MB. Bit of a pain to get a new case and card to change the firewall config.

Looks like I could solve the issue by changing my switch setup though which will be a lot easier, to managed and IGMP Snooping.

I have snapped up two of these... https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-link-8-port-gigabit-easy-smart-switch-tl-sg108e-nw-156-tp.html

The reason for two is as follows: -

All in the garage
BT Fibre Modem --> pfSense WAN --> pfSense LAN / IPTV --> Unmanaged Switch --> NAS & Study LAN

On that switch there is a port that has a cable that runs built in through the house to the AV cupboard.

In the AV cupboard
Unmanaged Switch --> BT TV Box / Wireless AP / Sonos x3 / NR515 / HTPC / etc

So, if I swap out the garage unmanaged switch for a managed one with IGMP Snooping it should stop the flooding on the LAN segment in the garage and study and only allow the multicast traffic through the port to the BT TV box.

The problem being that this hangs of another unmanaged switch with lots of other kit including the wireless and I think this segment will still get flooded with the multicast traffic.

My idea is to swap that switch for another managed one with the IGMP Snooping which I hope will filter the multicast traffic to the port on which the BT TV is connected.

Do you think this would work? Can you 'daisy chain' the managed switched like this?

I can't move the location of the equipment due to cabling issues and also can not run another cable from the garage to the AV cupboard.

Associate
OP
Hi,

I ordered two 8 port TP Link managed switches and installed them this morning.

It all works ok now with the IGMP Snooping turn on on both of the switches.

Got there in the end!

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome thanks for posting the end result. It's possible I'll go back to BT in a few months so I know to account for a managed switch as i don't think running two network cables to my TV cabinet is feasible.

Back
Top Bottom