Is a 1930's bungalow likely to be cavity wall?

Soldato
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ement-ban-britain-uk-government-a9096991.html

Currently not illegal outside London may be set to change though.
Thanks
Guess there's a grey area
Though you look to be right
Highway code Rule 242 is where it gets a little less clear, stating: "You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road."
Guess that's why you can still fined for it
Down to who's definition of dangerous position and unnecessary obstruction is upheld I guess

Soldato
OP
There are hundreds of streets in this area where people park on the pavement fully or partially. Its not ideal i know, i really would have liked a good sized frontage/driveway, which is difficult with this house. At the same time its a detached on a good size plot which is rare at this price.

Soldato
You mentioned rear access
Any possibility of parking there?
Though not as convenient as right outside
Would still be off the road
Though already said driveway is a luxury in this situation
If I couldn't have a driveway ~or not immediately
Would I still go for the house given its size, plot size, cost etc
Yes I would personally
Perhaps it's because living in a seaside town with a lot of narrow totally double parked streets where a lot of houses have nowhere to put a driveway
I am used to sometimes the only parking space may be 800 yards away lol

Soldato
OP
Yeah i appreciate driveway is a luxury. I think what is holding me back though is that whilst there is a potential for a driveway, it would be a limited one due to the shape of the area.

No driveway straight away - fine.
Potential to build a driveway - great.
Limited space to actually do it - ah...

Soldato
Yeah i appreciate driveway is a luxury. I think what is holding me back though is that whilst there is a potential for a driveway, it would be a limited one due to the shape of the area.

No driveway straight away - fine.
Potential to build a driveway - great.
Limited space to actually do it - ah...
Yeah can see it would be pretty tight at front of house
What about rear of property
If it's a big garden

Soldato
OP
Its the convenience factor you mentioned. Last thing you want in pouring rain to have to open gates in a dark alley at the back then drive car in, close gates, tread across garden to back of house.

Although there is space to do it and rear access on a gravel alleyway one car wide.

Soldato
Its the convenience factor you mentioned. Last thing you want in pouring rain to have to open gates in a dark alley at the back then drive car in, close gates, tread across garden to back of house.

Although there is space to do it and rear access on a gravel alleyway one car wide.
Admittedly it's not ideal
But nonetheless it's an option
Only you can decide if the driveway issue is a make or break whether to buy it
If I liked the house, the area, size of plot, how much more I was getting because it needs modernisation
Would I buy it
Yes
Just because a driveway isn't immediately achievable wouldn't stop me
Doesn't mean in the future things won't alter and its doable
But every one's different
Going with out gas and electricity or sometimes food was par for the course growing up for me
So lack of a driveway is pretty trivial lol
Only you can decide if its a deal breaker though

Soldato
OP
Half of my brain says it shouldn't be. Half of my brain is trying to convince me it is an issue.

Its not ideal. But what is.

But what might come along next week, you know?

Im probably striving for too much perfection but can't help it.

Associate
Hi all, got some more photos to share for opinions hopefully.

Here is one of the windows which appear to be hardwood. I assume is some kind of paint or coating that is peeling off, so they all need some sanding back and retreating. Any major concerns with this? What product would you use? As you can see the windows are double glazed but they are very thin units, looks only 6mm. I wouldn't be able to afford to put in uPVC.

x8gCcFk.png

The extension has been built with a chimney which Ive never seen done before. Does this help pinpoint the age of the extension?

yyOw463.png

Here are the lower unrendered sections of the walls. The thickness of the walls at the window and door sections was around 250-280mm give or take. Do you think cavity? I can make out the thicker section of mortar where the DPC is in these pictures. What are the bricks with what look like rivets embedded in them for?

8KegPIE.png
Energy assessor here. This is called a stretcher bond Brick layout. Sometimes in the 1930's they have used engineering bricks and then cavity. Some bungalows are indeed cavity. If rendered and over 250/260mm, it's likely to be cavity. Narrow cavities came about earlier than most people think.
If semidetached look at the wall construction in the loft, sold is heders and stretchers. Remember a solid wall can be between 220-250mm thick.

Soldato
Keep the boiler and hot water tank -open or pressured - Having a Combi here was worst thing I have ever done although I do have a very good shower.

My last house was built in the thirties and had a cavity wall - Main problem was the bricks up to the damp course was a solid 11" wall then hot tar was poured on top - then two walls - Next door did a lot of rebuilding and he found three different types of brick ties.
Next door also found out the hard way when he removed the gutters from the porch roof at front door that brick work is porous - the water bounced up his wall higher than DPM and ran across membrain and flooded his lounge.
He dug up the lounge floor and concreted it for sake of £10 worth of guttering. -I never had any problems what so ever.

Back
Top Bottom