Is anyone elses default stance on people a negative one?

Soldato
I think that the mental health of the country has gone down the tube in the last 15 years. It is something that lacks input and money and would solve a lot of problems as a result.

I think there should be a lot more common sense things done that are not enforced by those n power or the rich due to capitalism becoming prevalent. Too many rich people are let off the hook which gives the wrong impression to the young population and that breeds a lack of respect for those of age or in authority.

Social media and sensationalist news authors have a lot to answer for.

Soldato
I understand what you mean. It's called JSA lol.

Not really. JSA doesn't take them off the streets, feed them or really get them working. It just fuels the cycle of dependency they are in. If I was made homeless, jobless; I would want somewhere to go where I could be fed and housed in exchange for productive output. I wouldn't want money (or at least not primarily).

It might sound like something out of the nineteenth century, but we need somewhere to take these people to and get them working.

The unfortunate problem is that we don't have the kinds of manual jobs in the country that existed before. I'm thinking navvies, miners, labourers on farms. Trying to think of some jobs where large numbers of manual workers are still required?

Soldato
You're assuming people are homeless just because they have no money which is very narrow minded. Many need more than a job with hard labour.

Yes, a lot of it can be mental health or circumstance - an easy example is ex-service personnel kicked to the kerb who suffer from PTSD.

Every person has a different issue and needs to be treated differently by a professional. By professional I mean better than the useless drug workers (I'm assuming other areas of mental health may have a similar level of competence) for example I know from dealing with them first hand (not me but someone close) who were barely qualified to screw a light bulb in let alone tell me why it should be done. I know mental health workers with degrees however the way it is dealt with is so convoluted.

Soldato
Whatever the cause of the problem is, the solution is the same. Remove them from the situation, give them productive work to do. Remove the ability to get alcohol and drugs. Give them basic food and shelter. Work until they are tired and get good warm dry rest. Layer whatever support and training on top of this but without the basic in place the individual will not be saved.

Associate
Don't really see the need, but if you wish..

No house, no family home i could stay at, no friends house i could stay at, no hostel i could use and no access to any council housing.

Homeless as in, on the streets with whatever i could carry.

And yet you have this attitude towards the homeless? :confused:

Soldato
Not really. JSA doesn't take them off the streets, feed them or really get them working. It just fuels the cycle of dependency they are in. If I was made homeless, jobless; I would want somewhere to go where I could be fed and housed in exchange for productive output. I wouldn't want money (or at least not primarily).

It might sound like something out of the nineteenth century, but we need somewhere to take these people to and get them working.

The unfortunate problem is that we don't have the kinds of manual jobs in the country that existed before. I'm thinking navvies, miners, labourers on farms. Trying to think of some jobs where large numbers of manual workers are still required?

I know, I was being ironic. :)

It's a start and it gets them known in the system by being around the job centre all day, every day. At the very least it gives them somewhere warm in the day and gets them £73 a week. To get JSA now you have to go to the job every day for 7hrs a day to qualify.

Associate
I just think tuff your problem not mine, I have been in a very low place in life not homeless because my mum always helped me and took me in when down and out.

F'em, you need to work at life if its not working for you.

What about those who don't have a Mummy or other family to run to?

"F'em" too?

Caporegime
You're assuming people are homeless just because they have no money which is very narrow-minded. Many need more than a job with hard labour.

im no expert but my sister in law is and i can easily ask her for statistics on the London borough of Lambeth on the subject.

But as an uneducated guess, a solid job and a routine would pull a hell of a lot >50% of people out of homelessness. The rest sure, might need special help and that is also part of her job.

Ill speak to her over xmas and see if i remember to bring up the topic.

Soldato
im no expert but my sister in law is and i can easily ask her for statistics on the London borough of Lambeth on the subject.

But as an uneducated guess, a solid job and a routine would pull a hell of a lot >50% of people out of homelessness. The rest sure, might need special help and that is also part of her job.

Ill speak to her over xmas and see if i remember to bring up the topic.

I'd rather the stats on the capacity of homeless centers relative to the number of genuine street sleepers please.

Caporegime
Here's my story.

I spent most of my first 15 years in people's back yards, caravans, no father, a mother who struggled to make ends meet (despite working her arse off and being a fantastic mother, no denying that) and anything luxury was a far cry from what we could afford. TV was something others had, not me. My clothing was usually hand me downs and the most expensive toy I ever got for Christmas was an Artin slot racing set. Other keywords in my rather colourful history include rape, murder, cancer, harrassment, drugs, alcoholism, beatings, euthanasia, and stalking. I could probably think of more but this is Christmas eve so screw that.

Fast forward to today, I earn a comfortable living, I rent a very nice penthouse in London and have a fantastic wife (to whom I attribute much of my success). I got to where I am through hard work, looking for opportunities, never giving up and making champagne when life threw me lemons. I came to London with a suitcase and £200 in 2006. Anyone saying that life is hard and there are no opportunities aren't looking hard enough or aren't willing to dedicate themselves.

I'm no perfect person or anything, my life is still fraught with things I could do without, and I've become what I am today with ZERO support. No bank of Mum & Dad, no inheritance, no lucky breaks, nothing. Blood, sweat and tears or GTFO.

I'll always help those less fortunate than myself when I can and deem it an decent option but anyone saying that they've hit rock bottom need to sort themselves out.

Soldato
Here's my story.

I doff my hat to you for having come through such things, sadly not everyone is a strong-minded and for every person who battles on there are many who don't or don't know how to.

I'd rather not mention it on here but I've seen my fair share and even those who have a lot can end up with very little (not just financially) so I always think twice about tarring everyone with the same brush that the OP has. Yes, people make bad decisions but the world isn't perfect, not everyone is in the right frame of mind at the right time and sometimes **** happens and people end up in bad places.

Last edited:
Soldato
You cannot judge what a stranger has been through. I've known guys that have been rolled over by women in devastating ways to the extent being homeless was the least of their worries.

There was a bloke on the street here who was a victim of identity fraud and ended up homeless. Still waiting for the police and banks to finish their investigations so he can be compensated. In the mean time he is on the street 4 days out of 7 because hostels are on a first come first served basis and often turn away people they know have been there a few times that week "to be fair".

You can normally tell the genuine ones. If they are sober and asking for food, common sense says they aren't taking the mick. Some are even asking for blankets on signs. Not exactly going to setup a blanket shop and defraud the public are they.

My opinion of the general public is generally low and im quite indifferent towards people, but when people are in the dumps I have upmost empathy for them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom