Is 'blacking up' racist?

Soldato
I don't think so - but as has already been mentioned, Racism is subjective and dependant on the person. Some may find it offensive, others couldn't care less...

I wouldn't have any problem with someone "whiting" up for fancy dress :p

Soldato
Yes we should.
Its perfectly natural to divide people based on genetic differences.
Someone has red hair.
Someone has blue eyes.
Someone has curly hair.
Someone is black.
Someone is female.

Its a genetic subset. Genetics are not offensive. People thinking others are being oppressed by describing them accurately is incredible mupperty in action.

Now saying uneducated young black men are all theives, thats racist.
Using mackup to darken your skintone so you look more like MrT in a fancy dress party, no, that isn't racist.
Referring to someone having black skin because they have black coloured skin, no, thats not racist.

The difference is, people with blue eyes or red hair have never been persecuted, enslaved, or lynched because of those traits alone.

Soldato
The ginger step children disagree. :D

I'm ginger. The persecution of the bloodnuts is very overrated. :p

I don't think it's racist either to black up for the purposes of fancy dressing as Mr T. However, you do need to be aware some people will regard it as racist. Just be aware of it, and don't do it if you know someone at the party who is likely to kick off about it.

Soldato
Is by doing so implying that one race is superior to another?
Is by doing so implying a stereotype about one race?

If the answer is yes to either of these two then yes it's racist. If not, it isn't.

Some people choose to be offended. Ignore these people.

Soldato
"blacking up" - lolwut?

Is it racist to go to a fancy dress party as a black celebrity? - lolwut?

I know you live in Clifton Russ but seriously?

Please learn some history.

Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan is the Devil, and the government is lying about 9/11? :p

Caporegime
generally its probably not a good idea, a particular character as part of a group going in fancy dress as you've described (the A Team) then its likey ok if you're going into a student night or something - wouldn't advise it in a major city centre as you'd likely still find someone who takes offence at it.

^^^ do not attempt to do the nose/lips... it won't work for a home made fancy dress outfit, it will look like a very bad black caricature and could easily be interpreted as being overtly racist.

Soldato
Meh, i totally disagree with that, just putting people in boxes to suit your shortcomings really. That's what the cliquey media/fashion people like to do.

Seriously, do you not realise that people are actually different?

Would you ban this journal article analysing the performance difference between the genders in Olympic sports on the grounds of it being sexist?

WOMEN AND MEN IN SPORT PERFORMANCE: THE GENDER GAP HAS NOT EVOLVED SINCE 1983

KEY POINTS

Sex is a major factor influencing best performances and world records.
A stabilization of the gender gap in world records is observed after 1983, at a mean difference of 10.0% ± 2.94 between men and women for all events.
The gender gap ranges from 5.5% (800-m freestyle, swimming) to 36.8% (weight lifting).
The top ten performers' analysis reveals a similar gender gap trend with a stabilization in 1982 at 11.7%.
Results suggest that women will not run, jump, swim or ride as fast as men.

Soldato
Unless you can act as convincingly as Robert Downey JR and/or have access to a hollywood grade make up artist, be careful out there ;)

Tbh, I wouldn't worry too much unless you get the makeup REALLY wrong and/or start 'jive talkin' like some godawful blaxploitation character.

Back
Top Bottom