Is brown mince OK to eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
You know how raw mince goes brown after a few days in the fridge (in the packet)?.

I've heard that mince is red because it sells better. I've got a pack that's in date but has gone brown, it it OK?

It's oxidised. Perfectly fine to eat... and it'll go brown anyway when you cook it! Happens to steak when the meat is touching the clear plastic window as well.

It's oxidised. Perfectly fine to eat... and it'll go brown anyway when you cook it! Happens to steak when the meat is touching the clear plastic window as well.

oh right didnt know that.

its generally good isnt it for meat to breath? according to hugh, anyway...

I used to work on a butcher's counter and can confirm beef tends to go brown after a while due to it become oxidised, won't affect the taste of the meat in the slightest. On a separate note, if you're storing beef steaks make sure you never lay them on top of each other overnight or they will turn black where they are touching. Either lay them separately or put some saver paper in between them, clingfilm won't cut it I'm afraid.

I used to work on a butcher's counter and can confirm beef tends to go brown after a while due to it become oxidised, won't affect the taste of the meat in the slightest. On a separate note, if you're storing beef steaks make sure you never lay them on top of each other overnight or they will turn black where they are touching. Either lay them separately or put some saver paper in between them, clingfilm won't cut it I'm afraid.

Will the black stuff taste funny, or is it just that it doesn't look as nice?

ill the black stuff taste funny, or is it just that it doesn't look as nice?

Good question! Obv people didnt tend to buy the steaks with blackened bits so they just got chucked in with the stewing steak, not really sure if it affected the taste as after stewing I doubt you could tell the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom