Is Islam compatible with atheism/lack of belief ?

Soldato
Let's say you live in a country in which majority (80+%) are atheist/irreligous. The rest is mix of christianity, paganism.. This country hasn't had a terrorist attack in...well, ever.

Is it possible to immigrate and integrate masses of people of muslim faith without future conflicts/terror attacks arising ?

Is Islam itself, and Quran+hadith specifically, compatible with atheism ?

Personally I haven't read/studied this religion, so I do not know, but I am interested what others think.
I tried to read Quran once, but on the second page it already speaks about how nonbelievers have diseased hearts and can expect great punishment, which kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm to read the rest. But I am sure it can be interpreted in a way where it does not actually mean what it says.

Soldato
islam in it's purest sense isn't, same as all the other major religions.

modern forward thinking muslims like modern forward thinking christians just brush over the "burn all the nonbeleiving infidels" parts of their various religious texts.

Soldato
Well I guess it depends on who you are trying to integrate. Friends of mine who are Muslim wouldn't bat an eyelid at all, they simply don't care about that at all. There is no "fits all" answer to your question, but its not just isolated to muslims though, there are examples of any number of people who will try to inflict their will on others when given half a chance.

So to answer your question, yes but also no.

Soldato
From my (admittedly very loose) understanding of it, no, not really, but then neither is Christianity (though shalt not worship false idols etc).

In reality it's down to the individuals practicing the religion, in which case I imagine you'd find that the majority (of any religion) tend to go with the attitude of "your beliefs (or lack of) are up to you, and I don't care as long as you don't try to push them on me".

However, those aren't the people you hear about on the news!

Caporegime
it's compatible in the sense that given enough time the country will become 100% islamic.

their religion states they need to convert everyone else by force if necessary.

Soldato
Your subconsciously describing Britain here and our current state of affairs. To answer your question no, there will always be conflict to some degree where ever you are in the world, in a sense we are(or at least have been) very spoilt in this country but there is a much more sinister side to things.

Caporegime
Yes, but that doesn't mean that they're actually going to do it.

hasn't stopped them in the past or currently.

it also happening secretly within the UK. muslims targeting girls of other faiths, tricking them then forcing them to convert before marriage. yet no coverage of this by the media because they don't want the muslims getting upset. same thing with the grooming gangs, etc police were too slow to react as they didn't want to upset the muslims.

Caporegime
It can be... it depends on how liberal the particular adherents of Islam are. If they're rather pragmatic and realise that it needs some reform - say share views similar to say Maajid Nawaz then I don't see a huge issue - everyone keeps their beliefs to themselves and no worries...

On the other hand if you've got more conservative believers then there are issues - some publication is seen as blasphemous, youtube hosts a Mohammed film etc.. and you'll get them kicking off, their daughter dates a non-believer or perhaps one of their offspring decides to study a scientific subject at university and comes to the realisation that the beliefs he/she was brought up with are nonsense thus commits apostasy and you'll have issues again.

Yes Islam, as it is practiced in a lot of the world, is problematic for such a society, in fact there are problems with conservative Islam and Western society in general - however Islam as practiced by people with a liberal outlook - some who live in the West or perhaps people who are simply pragmatic and come from more relaxed cultures say parts of Lebanon, Morocco etc.. is absolutely fine and can be perfectly compatible, tolerant etc..

Soldato
hasn't stopped them in the past or currently.

it also happening secretly within the UK. muslims targeting girls of other faiths, tricking them then forcing them to convert before marriage. yet no coverage of this by the media because they don't want the muslims getting upset. same thing with the grooming gangs, etc police were too slow to react as they didn't want to upset the muslims.

blah blah blah

Muslims are not going to convert the UK. It's very evident that the UK is becoming increasingly secular. Islam may grow, but eventually being irreligious will be the norm.

Soldato
OP
Your subconsciously describing Britain here and our current state of affairs. To answer your question no, there will always be conflict to some degree where ever you are in the world, in a sense we are(or at least have been) very spoilt in this country but there is a much more sinister side to things.

I was actually more meaning my own country - Czech Republic - where vast majority are atheists (I do not know a single religous person, for example), we have almost no islamic presence and no terrorist attacks. But we see EU wanting to force countries like CZ, Poland, Hungary etc to take in muslim immigrants, which most people here refuse.

Of course I realize that there are huge numbers of muslims who are peaceful people, who ignore the bad parts of Quran and do not care about spreading Islam etc. But are those in the majority? And if we took in thousands of muslims from countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria...would things change for worse ?

Caporegime
From my understanding if you are not a Muslim, you are a lesser person.

To have no faith at all blows their tiny minds. I've seen it and talked to them in person.

I've literally been laughed at, told my life is without purpose, all this by 18 year old girls... Lol.

On the other hand I've also been told the same by African Christians.

No religeon is compatible with another, or lack of. No matter what they say.

Caporegime
From my understanding if you are not a Muslim, you are a lesser person.

To have no faith at all blows their tiny minds. I've seen it and talked to them in person.

not *all* muslims, you can't just talk as though they're some homogeneous group - I suspect a large portion of those you'll encounter in Sweden will be recent arrivals from countries with rather regressive forms of Islamic beliefs being the most prevalent.

Soldato
It's not all that different from hardline Christian communities in Africa who still do actual witch hunts :/

Some places are just still stuck in the 1100s.

Every religion believes they are right and everyone else is wrong, yet none have any proof of what they preach. Which means they are all wrong.

Man of Honour
There is often a difference in the Quran between non-Muslims living amongst Muslims and those living in non-Muslim lands - fundamentally Islam makes allowances for non-Muslims, largely for those following Abrahamic religions, living amongst Muslims as long as they live by certain rules - I believe most Muslim scholars are in agreement that there is nothing that stops the definition being expanded to those who live by a spiritual way of life however I'm not sure the same would apply to those fully "without god".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhimmi is probably a good start on that subject - not really sure where it goes from there for Atheists (and some of this is rejected by many Muslims today).

Soldato
I was actually more meaning my own country - Czech Republic - where vast majority are atheists (I do not know a single religous person, for example), we have almost no islamic presence and no terrorist attacks. But we see EU wanting to force countries like CZ, Poland, Hungary etc to take in muslim immigrants, which most people here refuse.

Of course I realize that there are huge numbers of muslims who are peaceful people, who ignore the bad parts of Quran and do not care about spreading Islam etc. But are those in the majority? And if we took in thousands of muslims from countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria...would things change for worse ?

You answered your own question, Godlessness eventually = wrath, sounds appealing to forget about God because it's easy and comforting, ultimatley you wouldn't have a say in the matter, if Muslims are to come into your country then they will and that will be yet another conflict.

Back
Top Bottom