Is it harmful to boost mobile phone signals?

Soldato
Hi all,

Just wondering... As phone signals have been confirmed to be harmful to health... Is something like a mobile phone signal booster likely to be making the situation worse by further amplifying the harmful signal?

I know this is GD... But some serious responses would be nice too please :p

Thanks!

This is the sort of booster I'm talking about:

aTRXZb7l.jpg.png

Soldato
I was under the impression it was illegal to amplify mobile signals.

I wouldn't have thought it would be any more dangerous than living next to a mast. However saying that if you buy an ebay China special who knows what it might do.

Soldato
Your balls will fall off.........

.....the shelf, so remove them first.

I know some offices that use these and it has been a year or two they are all still alive and well as far as I know. They behave normally too.

Soldato
What evidence you basing mobile phone signals being harmful on?

However, the scientific view on this, and the one adopted by governments around the world, is that the Radio Waves emanating from the likes of wireless routers and mobile phones are harmless. Wired magazine and website quotes one such scientist (Ed Mantiply, of the FCC's radio frequency safety program):

"There is no conclusive evidence that electromagnetic fields hurt health. We have a standard for exposure, which is essentially like a speed limit --there's no guarantee that you're safe below it or unsafe above it."
Mantiply goes on to say, "I believe a good number of people who complain about these things have trauma or obsessive disorders."

Associate
I'm not aware of any medically sound peer-reviewed publications which confirm that there is actual bodily harm suffered from mobile signals. Can you please post a link if you are aware?

I'm highly dubious on the health claims point. I have a Vodafone Sure Signal, which is effectively a 3G booster approved and sold by Voda - seems unlikely a FTSE100 company would expose itself to bankrupting litigation on health...

Soldato
So by "this is the sort of booster" you meant "this is the booster" :D.

I could be wrong but I thought they were illegal unless provided by the telecoms company themselves(rarely happens).

Soldato
OP
I have no proof that signals are harmful... I just thought that they were... Apparently they are still testing it to find proof is what I've been told

Yep, that is the booster :p

Not sure on the legality of them... Maybe the ones sold by phone companies have a smaller boosting capability to make the 'safer'?

Associate
Not sure on the legality of them... Maybe the ones sold by phone companies have a smaller boosting capability to make the 'safer'?

Aren't the "boosters" like Vodafone's SureSignal actually a femtocell that uses your broadband for connecting calls rather than the cell network's backhaul?

They'll be working on the licensed frequencies and CE approved.

This kind of booster is unlikely to have any approval and you'd probably be on dodgy grounds in terms of licensing if you use one.

Soldato
OP
Quick bit of research shows that femtocells ARE legal like you say... And therefore probably what most phone providers sell

Soldato
Hi all,

Just wondering... As phone signals have been confirmed to be harmful to health... Is something like a mobile phone signal booster likely to be making the situation worse by further amplifying the harmful signal?

I know this is GD... But some serious responses would be nice too please :p

Thanks!

This is the sort of booster I'm talking about:

aTRXZb7l.jpg.png

You'll be making the situation worse as the interference and in-band noise that piece of junk generates will be investigated by the Radio Communications agency and they'll have you in court if they catch.

Back
Top Bottom