Is it justifiable to charge your hourly rate while travelling?

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;30133605 said:
Retirement sounds great - you get to go to Uni full time, then you get to have clients, do work for them, bill them for travelling time, etc. It sounds as fun as going to Uni then going to work :D

Retired people don't do PHD's either, given it's a paid position...

No it isn't.

A PhD can be "paid" with stipends and grants, but you can easily do a self funded PhD as well.

Soldato
Yep. Whenever I've travelled a distance in work they've always paid me and it was overtime so at overtime rate. Obviously not applicable to a tradesman but if they are not around the corner it is costing them money to travel in lost time + fuel etc.

Caporegime
My company pays me for travel time to customers if I need to spend longer travelling than I would if I were going into the office. The customer pays the day rate. I have to assume that the small amounts of overtime for travel are considered a cost of business and taken into account when setting day/hourly rates.

I doubt we'd try and bill travel at the same rate as the actual work - it would instantly get people's backs up.

Associate
Yes we do charge traveling time at full rate

If a company had to send 2 blokes 200 miles to do a job that were for an example on 10 ph each

Would you expect them to spend 10 plus hours on reduced pay becuase they have to travel to the job if work only takes 4 hours on site

Caporegime
I'm 'retired' too, though I don't need to take paid web development work as I've already reached the post grad level of 'retirement' :D

Rather a lot of hard work though this 'retirement' stuff is.

Soldato
I was professionally a software engineer and I have retired from being a software engineer. I now no longer have a profession and I have retired from working life as I no longer need to work to cover living expenses, that's covered by my retirement income.

I am neither actively seeking work (beyond building a portfolio) nor am I unable to find work, therefore the term "unemployed" does not seem appropriate.

Don't forgot topping up that income with student loans you took out and never planned on paying back.

Caporegime
Yes we do charge traveling time at full rate

If a company had to send 2 blokes 200 miles to do a job that were for an example on 10 ph each

Would you expect them to spend 10 plus hours on reduced pay becuase they have to travel to the job if work only takes 4 hours on site

I'd expect the company to be getting way more than £10ph of value from those employees and be able to afford to pay them for the entire time they were 'at work'. How the company gets the money from the client is up to them, but I'd be surprised if it was by billing for 2x 8 hour days when each person was only on site for 4 hours, because that is going to cause lots of problems when people query their invoices.

Back
Top Bottom