• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

is it possible to build a PC or mac with an external graphics card?

Permabanned
Hi guys,

Is it possible to create a PC or buy mac mini and simply not have a graphics card inside, instead have an external case that links to the pc case thats running a graphics card from there?

Permabanned
OP
i think thats exactly what i want, whats this asus system going to be called, where can i read about it?

So your saying people with laptops will be able to run an external graphics card, thats sweet.

Permabanned
OP
i looked around and found some links by searching on google for 'asus releasing external graphics cards for laptops'

They want to sell it with a 7900gs i think it's stupid, they say you can swap it with a different card, it should just come without a card then you can buy your own better card. I wonder if you can buy two to link them up in crossfire. I read that the 8800GTX cannot fit inside this external device, which is a real shame.

Do you think it will work with a mac mini with windows xp installed for PC gaming?

Caporegime
A mobility x1600 isn't exactly a great solution for gaming either, espically not on a 1680x1050 screen.

Why would you want an external card for a desktop?

Permabanned
OP
I really want to get a mac mini, i just thought having an external graphics card would be cool, as the mac mini isn't big enough to have the latest graphics cards inside so i thought it would be cool to have an external one, or what about mac laptops, if i was running one with windows xp installed would it work with a external graphics card like this new one by asus that were chatting about?

Also what does MBP mean?

TIA

Caporegime
dvdbunny said:
I really want to get a mac mini, i just thought having an external graphics card would be cool, as the mac mini isn't big enough to have the latest graphics cards inside so i thought it would be cool to have an external one, or what about mac laptops, if i was running one with windows xp installed would it work with a external graphics card like this new one by asus that were chatting about?

Also what does MBP mean?

TIA

MBP = mac book pro. As already said I don't see how in the world an external graphics card will work with games because of bandwidth. If you want very powerful graphics and a small computer, you can get those small cube cases or one of the 7900gtx dell laptops.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom