Is it possible to get a router that can deliver 1gig over wifi?

Associate
Are there cable modem routers that can deliver 1gig over wifi or would i need to get something like asus rt-ax88u wireless-ax6000 connect to say the G Network router modem in modem mode ? Is there a leader of the pack when it comes to either modem routers or routers that can deliver 1gig over wifi and also has a good coverage?

I've just got G Network 900Mb/s installed and the speed over wifi using their Nokia modem router is 300Mb/s download and 150Mb/s upload. When I contacted their technical support they told me that it's not possible to get beyond 300-400Mb/s via wifi, and to get the speed that I signed up for I would need to connect to the router via the ethernet cable. I know what he told me was nonsense as I also have virgin which when doing a speed test over wifi I receive download speeds between 540Mb/s - 560Mb/s. Even when I tested the speed via the ethernet cable download was 330Mb/s and upload get to 739Mb/s, but still not the 900Mb/s symmetrical speed that the engineer surprisingly got on his tablet when he tested the line without an ethernet cable. I am hoping that I can get the max speed without the need of cables.

Associate
It is possible but you need to be careful with your hardware choice.

most routers are a fancy potato and you’ll need to spend a bit more to get 1gig download speeds, especially if you have walls and things blocking the signal.

I’d suggest getting a proper network engineer out to take a look.

Soldato
802.11ac (circa 2016) can nominally push that. Note that you need both the access point and the machine connected to it to be capable of such, and latency is still going to be bad relative to cables.

Network hardware gets surprisingly expensive. I like the ubiquiti range, which is somewhere between the all in one boxes and the enterprise gear.

Man of Honour
when I tested the speed via the ethernet cable download was 330Mb/s
This implies to me a bigger issue, if you can't get more then 330mbit via ethernet it could be contention on the actual internet connection in which case better WiFi won't help. Have you tested with multiple NICs and ethernet cables?

Back
Top Bottom