Is it the Hard Drive?

Associate
The newer of my two PCs is driving me insane.

It's been behaving erratically for some weeks - hanging during games, occasionally refusing to start up, and most recently refusing to connect to the internet until it has been booted up once fully and then restarted. Oh, and it had recently been refusing to shut down when told.

Today I decided to reformat and do a clean reinstallation of XP Pro.

Well, I've spent all day trying this. I have reinstalled first the standard version, then the adulterated version on my PC's recovery disk, and now the standard version again, reformatting each time.

So far I have had:

Two errors involving missing or corrupted files
Three installations which hung during the installation process
At least one complete failure (would probably have been a BSOD if I had them turned on)

Obviously this has to be a hardware problem - but what is most likely? My only previous similar experience was cured by replacing the HDD (after a number of alleged experts had told me that it wasn't the problem!)

A wee bit of web research seems to suggest the same.

So... do I go out and buy a new HDD tomorrow, or do I take the machine to my computer guy instead?

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I would just sling a new hard drive in an start again yourself. I did it myself last time mine messed about & had it up & running in hours rather than days. I can't be dealing with no down time so i just ran up the road to a local & got a cheap 80G Maxtor to make do until the delivery guys arrived. Got my system up & running quick sharpish & was gaming again the same night. Since then the old H/D has been hooked up as an extra drive & sorted.

Associate
OP
Well, it seems that nobody anywhere near me sells a HDD worth paying money for, so I haven't replaced it yet.

This is weird, though - I seem to have managed to reinstall XP Pro (or at least it is more stable than it has been at any point since I started trying, surviving about 5 restarts).

What is weird is that before the XP screen comes up, I get a black screen with an interrupted white bar across the bottom, which then becomes solid over 20 secs or so. Then Windows loads normally.

Might this be a quirk of the OEM disc I'm using? (I bought it off ebay as I had an activation code but only a manufacturer's restore disk, which I didn't want to use).

Back
Top Bottom