is it time?

Associate
So, as you may know from my previous thread, I am considering a new build - BUT

Is this the wrong time to do so, should I wait until the new GFX cards /CPU's etc. are released?

Soldato
Theres never a right time to build, there's always something newer just round the corner.

IMO if you need or want a new machine, just build to whatever budget you have in mind, if then in 6 or 12 months it's not doing what you want, upgrade, otherwise you'll be waiting forever.

Soldato
CPU wise time is quite good with very well performing CPUs available at reaosanble prices and with also upgrade path.

In GPUs paying lot just does pay out, because you'll get like historically little performance and future value per money.
In half year situation has likely improved lot in that,and at least certainly when next-gen consoles will bring performance pressure.
Again SSD prices might take a major jump while waiting for that.
After like year long major drop their price was predicted to rise notably during year even before Coronavirus became thing and started closing things down in China.

Soldato
To me now feels like an especially bad time to upgrade mainly due to the new Playstation and Xbox being out at the end of the year. Plus new Nvidia cards being out in the summer.

However, if you need a new PC/component to run a particular game/app there's never a bad time to upgrade!

Associate
OP
well, Ive done it now. Yes, there will be bigger and better graphics cards and CPU's but in reality, will I want/need them. I'm 62yrs old, I play a relatively small amount of computer games and I would imagine that what I have bought will last me to my grave.
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,167.11 (includes shipping: £14.70)​

Soldato
well, Ive done it now. Yes, there will be bigger and better graphics cards and CPU's but in reality, will I want/need them. I'm 62yrs old, I play a relatively small amount of computer games and I would imagine that what I have bought will last me to my grave.
Total: £2,167.11 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Please go ryzen. Big mistake going intel literaly need to swap the cpu for the 3900x or 3950x and motherboard to a x570 master - it has Faster Storage, Pci Express 4.0 oh and its cheaper. Also has more power cores etc no brainer,

Associate
Total: £2,167.11 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Lovely setup, enjoy it

Back
Top Bottom