Is it worth becoming a HGV driver?

Soldato
OP
Cheers. Yeah, I don't understand either - allegedly 50,000-100,000 drivers short but they only want ones with experience. You can't get experience if they don't hire you? Catch 22 situation.

I have not gone for a taxi license. It doesn't appeal - during day yes but money is rubbish and at night I'd end up arrested after dealing with drunk idiots lol.

Soldato
OP
So I stopped with the lorry driving for now and applied for office jobs. Had more success with them and got a few offers.

It has been suggested maybe I'm overqualified for a HGV driver. I may be but I'd still love to do the job!

Associate
To answer your railway question, no, depending on what you do, there won't be any hard graft unless you go in as a labourer. There are different routes you can take, Lookout, Coss, Engineering Supervisor, Crane Controller, Strapping out, etc etc.

I don't know how much being a HGV driver pays but in a different life time when I was doing some railway related stuff, I was paid anywhere from 15-35 bucks an hour. This was about 10-12 years ago now. I never remember leaving the site access office much.

What's also 'beneficial' about the railways for someone in your situation, is that there's a big emphasis on weekend work. That's when all the heavy engineering gets done as the lines aren't as busy. Same for Christmas day. Back in the day, I done a few Christmas Eve shifts and got paid quite a few 1000 for just turning up. As I wasn't an idiot with money, just that shift alone paid my rent for nearly 6 months. Companies will also be happy if you just want to work weekends as that's when they find it hard to get people to work.

Look it's just a suggestion. I've no clue what it's like nowadays but I can't imagine it to be much different. It's terrible hours, rubbish work (whatever you end up doing) but it'll hopefully teach you a thing or two about enduring hardship and not slacking at university (otherwise the railway might threaten to become your career!) There's nothing like having to do 9 miles worth of bridge inspections in pouring rain at 2am on a Sunday morning. Nothing.

Have a little look around, ring a few companies and see what's on offer. Don't sound like you have much going on at the moment anyway.

So how do I get a job on the railway?

Soldato
So how do I get a job on the railway?

You start by getting a PTS ticket. Google around and you're bound to find a training provider close to you.

I would not bother applying directly to NWR for a job 'on the cards' as a track worker. They tend to advertise but only to tick a box. Most of those jobs are given to someone's son or friend as it's a job for life. Rubbish starting money but a job for life. Contracting is where it's at.

Once you get your PTS, go for your lookout and Coss tickets as soon as possible. Don't waste your life doing track labour works

From there you just try and get in with a railway recruitment company and they'll send you out on jobs. Morson International, Anders Elite, Vital Rail and Carmichael were the big job providers back in my days

Caporegime
So I stopped with the lorry driving for now and applied for office jobs. Had more success with them and got a few offers.

It has been suggested maybe I'm overqualified for a HGV driver. I may be but I'd still love to do the job!

Late to this thread (a bit like I'm late for deliveries! :D )

With any new driver, it's not your qualifications in other roles it's all down to experience (or lack thereof) of driving trucks.

You join as many agencies as you can and build experience from there,then you start applying for full time positions or indeed get offered a job from an agency placement.

At Stobart we have many "over qualified" drivers, I know of former accountants, teachers and even a former doctor who now work as drivers.

Anything you'd like to know fire away. :)

Caporegime
Whaaaaaaaaaat? :eek: - would love to know his story? Or did he do something silly and get struck off?

Something about he hated the inner city practice he was at and found the stress far too much,he says now it's about enjoying a job he forgets about when he's off work.

He does voluntary work overseas in the summer as a doctor and drives over here through the winter.

I'm fairly sure one of our depot has a former Vicar as a driver too!

Soldato
Something about he hated the inner city practice he was at and found the stress far too much,he says now it's about enjoying a job he forgets about when he's off work.

He does voluntary work overseas in the summer as a doctor and drives over here through the winter.

I'm fairly sure one of our depot has a former Vicar as a driver too!

It's not that uncommon. yes 80% of drivers are your typical know-it-all divorcee's who only talk about what route they took and traffic, but I've know some awesome drivers who do it because it gives them time to switch off and focus on other things.

I knew one working through a degree/phd/masters. He'd drive, write, drive, study etc Another was learning programming while he was driving. Listen to podcasts etc, when he stopped he'd crack the laptop out and start. Think he also started doing web dev work while driving.

Back
Top Bottom