Is it worth getting a ps4 slim in 23/24?

Associate
Getting back into gaming, since the days of my ps3, but can’t seem to justify getting a ps5 as i reckon I will be more of a casual gamer.

Keen to play devil may cry, god of war and fifa, potentially keen to dabble into other newer series/ titles so thinking a ps4 slim would cover it.

But heard rumours of a ps5 pro - so don’t know if the ps4 will still be supported and whether hold out and buy a ps5 when the pro is out??

Appreciate any thoughts.

Don
Support for PS4 has already started to be dropped, and especially as you mention FIFA (now called EA Sports FC), the PS4 version is missing some features compared to the PS5/PC/Xbox Series X/S version.

Given the PS5 is fully backwards compatible, even if you're only looking to catch up on PS4 titles, it seems bonkers to buy a PS4 now, if you are thinking about a PS5 further down the line.
At least if you buy a PS5 you can buy the odd PS5 title that interests you, and some PS4 titles have had free/cheap PS5 upgrades which makes the experience better (or if not, then they play more at the level of a PS4 Pro)

Associate
OP
Support for PS4 has already started to be dropped, and especially as you mention FIFA (now called EA Sports FC), the PS4 version is missing some features compared to the PS5/PC/Xbox Series X/S version.

Given the PS5 is fully backwards compatible, even if you're only looking to catch up on PS4 titles, it seems bonkers to buy a PS4 now, if you are thinking about a PS5 further down the line.
At least if you buy a PS5 you can buy the odd PS5 title that interests you, and some PS4 titles have had free/cheap PS5 upgrades which makes the experience better (or if not, then they play more at the level of a PS4 Pro)
That’s a fair point, didn’t realise support was winding down.

The PS5 seems a beast of a machine also… is it quiet or like a plane taking off?!

Also is the PS5 slim the way forward or digital or original?

Don
The PS5 seems a beast of a machine also… is it quiet or like a plane taking off?!
I've got a disc drive model that I got about a year after launch - the disc drive is the noisiest part of it. Unlike the PS4 or PS4 Pro you can barely hear the fan noise

Also is the PS5 slim the way forward or digital or original?
Personally I'd go for one with an optical drive - at least that way you can pick up the PS4 back catalogue cheaply as time goes on and people get rid of the games.
However, if you're not averse to subscriptions/renting games (as opposed to owning physical discs) then the higher tier of PSN Plus subscription will have a lot of the PS4 back catalogue available digitally

Soldato
I agree it’s worth getting a PS5, get an optical version and you have the whole PS4 back catalogue open to you for reasonable prices second hand. It’s a great system.

Associate
OP
OK sold PS5 it is then, will keep an eye out for it in the NY!

Bit of a daft question… can the version with the optical drive be positioned horizontally or is it vertical only?

Soldato
If it's the Slim you're talking about the default position is horizontal (on a couple of small, but sturdy legs).

You have to buy a separate stand if you want it vertical.

The Slim doesn't seem that big to me at all, it sits under the TV comfortably - the dimensions of the original would have had me forcing it in there with my size tens.

But, yeah, the disc drive on first spin up is noisy but it's to be expected.

E: Plus, unless it's a PS4 Pro you were thinking of, you need a PS5 for 4K play.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair, upontil a couple of weeks ago I was still happily gaming on my PS4.

But then I only play SP on the PlayStation so I've no need for any online aspects being supported, that would be an issue.

Associate
OP
Not unless you can pick up a cheap second hand ps4 IMO. Doesn't make sense buying it for the £250 RRP IMO given it's basically EOL.
I wasn’t thinking full price just a second hand system.

Scouring web though I can’t find any PS5 deals, will wait for NY otherwise might just get that second hand ps4.

Associate
OP
If you can find a PS4 Pro or slim on jailbreak'able firmware, then yes. But get a slim unless you have a jet engine fetish/can test the pro at full whack for an hour.
Confused!! So is the PS5 with optical drive loud then?

I can’t see myself getting back into gaming seriously, I don’t have the time, but for casual use, I think a pro will be overkill.

Need something that will sit sensibly under the media unit and not be obvious(visually or audibly).

Permabanned
Confused!! So is the PS5 with optical drive loud then?

I can’t see myself getting back into gaming seriously, I don’t have the time, but for casual use, I think a pro will be overkill.

Need something that will sit sensibly under the media unit and not be obvious(visually or audibly).
Sorry mate, I'm referring to the OG original 'phat' ps4, they are like planes taking off lol. My response was merely towards you getting a ps4 slim as per your thread title/OP :)

I have a slim ps3/4, they're silent, both jailbroken with SSD's. The PS4's are known for drive failure now from age, so it's nice to be able to play all my games off the SSD and cut down a bit on the awfully slow blu-ray drive loading, risk of disk rot etc etc, and you have the benefit of things like homebrew emulators/fan control apps etc etc, list is endless :)

PS5 was a let down for me, I just built a new gaming rig instead, that's literally only used for that and lives under the tv.

Back
Top Bottom