• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is It worth upgrading i7 950 @ 4.2ghz to a i7 4770k?

Gpu usage would be useful to know. As an example my 670's wouldnt go over 75% in my 930 setup. That was at 1920x1200, at 2560 x 1440 or so card use would be higher.

Just played BF4 TDM Carnage 24player server Hainan>20 playing, using Open Hardware Monitor > i7 930:4.030ghz>CPU Load:68-83%/ Sli670> Load - GPU1:99%/GPU2:93%>Samsung 27" 971D>2560X1440/BF4 Settings Ultra.

No Crashing, SLI:670 Running OK, Smooth and just over minimum 60 fps[fraps].

I Reset Open Hardware Monitor while map was loading for a proper fresh reading-

Last edited:
So....
Worth it or not?

IMO not worth it. Better off waiting for Haswell-E and DDR 4 and shelling out on that. An upgrade to a 4770K would set you back £400 +, likely a lot more if you buy a decent Mobo rather than a cheap and cheefull one. Thne figure in a RAM upgrade and you are talking 600 notes.

For the marginal performance increase its simply not value.

IMO not worth it. Better off waiting for Haswell-E and DDR 4 and shelling out on that. An upgrade to a 4770K would set you back £400 +, likely a lot more if you buy a decent Mobo rather than a cheap and cheefull one. Thne figure in a RAM upgrade and you are talking 600 notes.

For the marginal performance increase its simply not value.

I agree with this, I would wait for DDR4 systems to appear. It's a big outlay for something that you probably wont really notice.
But when you get an itch its nice to scratch it hey lol

Yes, / thread.

for the money I say /no thread.

4770K (OEM) £250
Decent motherboard say GB OC or Asus Maximus around 150 quid

so thats 400 quid already

chuck in some budget 2400 RAM = £70

so even going cheapish you are looking at nearly 500. If you went for retail CPU for the 3 year warranty and a top end(ish) board and RAM then you are closer to the 600 mark.

CPU = retail = £270
Board = Max VI Impact / Sabretooth £200
RAM = 8gb of corsair / avexir = £100

I'd take that 500 quid and stash it away and save up more in anticipation of Haswell-E. That will probably be double in costs but you are making a very significant jump in performance over just going to a 4770K

I agree with this, I would wait for DDR4 systems to appear. It's a big outlay for something that you probably wont really notice.
But when you get an itch its nice to scratch it hey lol

I'm still rocking a 2700K, and this is my plan but depends on the launch pricing of DDR4....

for the money I say /no thread.

4770K (OEM) £250
Decent motherboard say GB OC or Asus Maximus around 150 quid

so thats 400 quid already

chuck in some budget 2400 RAM = £70

so even going cheapish you are looking at nearly 500. If you went for retail CPU for the 3 year warranty and a top end(ish) board and RAM then you are closer to the 600 mark.

CPU = retail = £270
Board = Max VI Impact / Sabretooth £200
RAM = 8gb of corsair / avexir = £100

I'd take that 500 quid and stash it away and save up more in anticipation of Haswell-E. That will probably be double in costs but you are making a very significant jump in performance over just going to a 4770K

As I said earlier in the topic, it depends if you can do it cheaply.

The MM on these forums is an excellent source of affordable upgrades. I got my 4770k/mobo/RAM for £395 delivered. That is nowhere near the retail price and quite frankly is fantastic saving.

@wildman

My brand new Haswell mobo was £50 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4566#ov, it's good for 4.6Ghz. Brand new 4770K was £250, £300 for mobo and chip is competitive with AMD's FX CPU's + Mobo but performance is much higher / lower power use. So imho I think 4770K value can't be beat.

Haswell -E is likely almost a year away, rather enjoy a 4770K build now for that time. Haswell setups can be done cheaply tbh, well worth it.

Last edited:
Nope not by a long way total waste of the £600 ish it would cost as well.

Your CPU perhaps needs to run at stock clocks are you sure its not thermal throttling kicking in as your ocing it?

Core i7 came out in 2008 ever since Intel have just produced variants on that design socket 2011 is purely to sell a new motherboard chipset design as are the 1150/1155 sockets. Performance wise outside of benchmarks in a blind test I doubt you would notice much difference between most of them in everyday useage even in modern games!

If you must upgrade sell your 7990 its worth more than it should be right now due to the Bitcoin frenzy then buy a GTX780ti or Titan (their RRP is now around £700 if you can find one).

I'm getting 98% load on all cpu cores in BF4.
All settings are Utra.
Is that good or bad??

how? is hyperthreading off? my i7 920 with less of an overclock only sees maybe 60% cpu usage on bf4

and no i dont think its worth it, my rig with a 290 and 3.4 ghz 920 runs bf4 at 50-80 fps max everything 1200p!

Back
Top Bottom