Is my flat mate being reasonable?

Soldato
malfunkshun said:
Pffft, if you are going to spend X thoudand pounds on a house I'm sure you can arrange an hour off work to go look at it.

Problem is they might not want it when they see it. You can look at many, many houses til you find the one you want, an hour for each adds up. Then you've got the solicitors trips etc...

Problem I think he's got is that 9-5 is a lot of hours, just not very useful ones.
Better sticking to 6-8 hours over 2 evenings/saturday and the rest of the time to themselves. Also as many landlords will ask for a reference, he has gotta be careful :)

Soldato
OP
After having a word with him last night I suggested we composed a letter to get our agreement in writing to the LL, what you reckon?

Dear Mr Price.

We are writing to you re: our recent conversations over allowing evening viewings of the property. This causes us major inconvenience and we feel like we are paying £700 a month to be made to feel like strangers in our own home.

There has also been no offer of any apology or compensation to either tenant concerning the withholding of information to sell the property prior to the recently agreed change of tenancy. Had Marco been aware of this he would not have taken this tenancy on in the first place! Moving house is a time consuming and costly endeavour. We feel that this is extremely poor customer service.

Despite this however, we are willing to compromise in order to be seen to be being reasonable. The agency may arrange viewings for the following times, Monday + Tuesday 9am – 5pm, Wednesday + Thursday 9am – 7pm, Friday 9am – 5pm. We will not be forfeiting ANY of our time on the weekend as we do not like to be disturbed during our time off from work, we hope that you can understand this as we are sure you would feel the same if the roles were reversed. This will allow the agency over 40 hours a week in which to arrange viewings.

We would also like it agreed that the agency make it perfectly clear to people wishing to view this property, during anti-social hours, will be doing so at the tenant’s inconvenience. We feel that supplying this information will allow prospective buyers to decide whether they should be inconveniencing us or themselves.

Yours Sincerely,

P Statham, M Gregory

Soldato
Whats to know that the LL hadn't decided he was going to sell the property until after Marco had moved in? Things change.... The LL may need to get ride of it due to personal issues.

I don't see why he needs to offer an apology over wanting to sell his own house? Fair enough, it will be a pain for you but it is his house. As for the viewing of the property, i really can't see an outcome for this and i suspect that the LL will give you both 1 months notice to vacate and then he will try and sell empty.

Soldato
OP
leaskovski said:
Whats to know that the LL hadn't decided he was going to sell the property until after Marco had moved in? Things change.... The LL may need to get ride of it due to personal issues.

You don't just suddenly think "Hmmm I know i'll sell my £220k property". Besides he's one of a few people within a business, who own several rental properties across Bristol.

As for the notice, he's required to give us two.

Back
Top Bottom